Theatrical release poster
|Music by||Girish G|
|Running time||134 minutes|
Marina is a Tamil film directed by Pandiraj starring Siva Karthikeyan, in his feature film debut and Oviya in the lead roles. The movie released on February 3, 2012. It received mixed reviews.
Ambikapathy ('Pakoda' Pandian) comes to Chennai. Marina beach welcomes him. He turns a sundal seller to run his livelihhood. He comes across a host of characters and his perspective on life changes. His cool and casual manners wins him the admiration of other boys employed at the shores.
An old man (Sundararajan) and postman (Jithan Mohan) turn friends for these children. The beach is the abode of lovers and every day, it is visited by thousands of lover couple. One such couple is Senthilnathan (Sivakarthikeyan) and SwapnaSundari (Oviya).
The contemporary mindset of lovers are brought out through them by the director. Ambikapathy has a passion to study. He decides to work in the evening at the beach and achieve his passion. Eventually the film ends with a strong message.
- Sivakarthikeyan as Senthilnathan
- Oviya as Swapnasundari
- 'Pakoda' Pandian as Ambikapathy
- Gautham Purushoth as Kailasam
- Jayaprakash as guest appearance
- Sathish - This boy died in an accident on 8 September 2012.
- ‘Jithan' Mohan
Special appearances in Promotional song by :
Like Pandiraj's debut film Pasanga, Marina too revolves around children, focusing on street-children at Chennai's the Marina beach, who peddle snacks and knick-knacks to survive. The film is said to be inspired from Mira Nair's critically acclaimed Hindi film Salaam Bombay! (1988).
Pavithra Srinivasan of Rediff.com rated Marina 3/5 stating that it is "worth a watch." Rohit Ramachandran of Nowrunning.com rated it 2/5 calling it a "failed attempt at making a companion piece to Pasanga." Sify's Moviebuzz dismissed the film as "boring." Behindwoods Review Board rated it 2.5/5 calling Marina a "pleasant beach"
|Soundtrack album by Girishh G|
|Released||9 January 2012|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The soundtrack of Marina, composed by the debut music director London based musician Girishh G, was released on 9 January 2012 at the Marina Beach. The song "Vanakkam Vaazhavaikkum Chennai", penned by Na. Muthukumar, which talks about life in Chennai, would feature several noted film personalities. The songs received positive reviews.
|1.||"Vanakkam Chennai"||Na. Muthukumar||Mukesh, Shilpa Natarajan, Ramshanker||4:40|
|2.||"Kadhal Oru Devadhai"||Na. Muthukumar||Haricharan, Manasi||4:51|
|3.||"Marina Marina Theme"||Na. Muthukumar||Madras Youth Choir, Manasi, Monissha||2:34|
|4.||"Yelelo"||Yugabharathi||Benny Dayal, Sandhya, Andrea Jeremiah||4:42|
|6.||"Life In Marina"||Instrumental||3:44|
- "'Marina' releases on February 3". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Marina is Boring". sify.com. Retrieved 2012-02-04.
- "Marina Movie Review". kollyinsider.com. Retrieved 2012-02-03.
- "Marina Review - Tamil Movie Review by Rohit Ramachandran". Nowrunning.com. 2012-02-04. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Pandiraj's next is 'Marina' - Breaking News - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- "Siva Karthikeyan & Oviya team with Pandiraj - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- "Salam Bombay, says Pandiraj - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- Marina opened at No.1 in Chennai box office
- Marina remains at No.1 in Chennai on its second weekend
- "Review: Merina is worth a watch - Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. 2012-02-06. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Movie Review:Marina". Sify.com. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Marina Review - Marina Movie Review". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Marina In Marina! - Marina - Pandiraj - Tamil Movie News". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 2012-01-12.
- "Vikram, Sneha in 'Marina'!". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 2012-01-09.