Marina High School
|Marina High School|
Victory to the Valiant
|15871 Springdale Street
Huntington Beach, CA, 92649
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Huntington Beach Union High School District|
|Number of students||3,000 students, Grades 9-12|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue, Gold, & Columbia Blue|
Marina High School is a public high school located in the northwest corner of Huntington Beach, California which first began operating in 1963. Marina is part of the Huntington Beach Union High School District, which includes several other area high schools. The school is located on Springdale Street between Edinger Avenue and McFadden Avenue. In 2009, the school was named a California Distinguished School, the highest honor given to schools in California.
Marina's athletic teams are known as the Vikings and their school colors are Navy Blue, Columbia Blue, and Gold. They compete in the Sunset League of the California Interscholastic Federation's (CIF) Southern Section. Marina has no on-campus stadium and plays most of its football home games at nearby Westminster High School.
In 2007, Marina Boys Basketball broke the National record for 3 point shots made in a season making 437 three pointers.
- Daric Barton, professional baseball player
- Jake Bauers, professional baseball player
- Robin Beauregard, Olympic medalist
- Johnny Christ, bassist for hard rock/metal band, Avenged Sevenfold
- Kevin Elster, former MLB baseball player
- Bob Forrest, vocalist of the bands Thelonious Monster and The Bicycle Thief
- Chanda Gunn, Olympic bronze medalist in 2006, women's ice hockey goaltender
- Adam Hayward, NFL football player for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Alan Knipe, head coach of the Long Beach State 49ers men's volleyball team and former head coach of the United States men's national volleyball team
- Dave Mustaine, lead vocalist and guitarist for hard rock/metal band, Megadeth
- Natalie Nakase, basketball player and coach
- Marc Newfield, former MLB baseball player
- Cherokee Parks, former NBA basketball player
- Tony Parrish, former NFL football player
- Joe Penny, Actor 
- Justin Sellers, INF for the Los Angeles Dodgers
- "Number of Teachers in California Public Schools by School". ca.gov. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "2009 Distinguished Middle and High Schools". www.cde.ca.gov. California Department of Education. Retrieved April 2, 2009.
- "California teen named nation's first transgender homecoming quee". Yahoo News. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- Ryan, Kennedy (September 20, 2013). "Transgender Teen Named Homecoming Queen in Huntington Beach". Local News. KTLA.com. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- Sciacca, Mike (2008-08-20). "Former Viking to return to O.C. facing Angels". Huntington Beach Independent. Retrieved 2008-08-25.
- "Eric Sondheimer: Stress is a foreign notion to Marina's Jake Bauers". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 17, 2014.
- "Robin Beauregard Profile". UCLA Water Polo web site. University of California, Los Angeles. Retrieved April 3, 2009.
- "Elster Signs With Mets". Los Angeles Times. 1987-02-26.
- "Marina High". Los Angeles Times. 1998-06-03. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "Gunn Wins NCAA-wide Sportsmanship Award". US College Hockey Online. 2004-08-08. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- Mauney, Matt (2013-08-22). "Adam Hayward finds his place in Plant City". Plant City Times and Observer. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "Alan Knipe: 49er Profile". longbeachstate.com. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "Natalie Nakase continues to dream big, beat odds". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- Penner, Mike (1992-02-02). "Investing in Stars of the Future". Los Angelles Times. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- Joe Penny - IMDb
- Holmes, Baxter (2012-05-30). "Justin Sellers gets a lot of ink with the Dodgers". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- Marina High School website
- Huntington Beach Union High School District website
- Marina High School's 2006 STAR (California Standardized Testing and Reporting) test scores
- Marina Football Website
- Marina Marching Band/Concert Band/Jazz Band/Orchestra/Drumline/Color Guard
- Marina Choral/Vocal Music Website