|Marina binti Mahathir|
|Alma mater||University of Sussex|
Marina binti Mahathir (born c. 1957) (Jawi: مارينا بنت محضير) is a Malaysian socio-political activist and writer. She is the daughter and eldest child of the 4th Prime Minister of Malaysia, Tun Mahathir Mohammad and Siti Hasmah Mohamad Ali. She graduated from the University of Sussex.
Marina is well known as a leader in many non-governmental organizations such as the Malaysian AIDS Foundation and is currently an active socio-political blogger. She also writes in her bi-weekly column called Musings in The Star newspaper since 1989. Some of her pieces in the column have been published in her books such as 50 Days: Rantings by MM, published in 1997 and Telling It Straight, published in 2012 by Editions Didier Millet. The latter is a selection of her articles published in her column between 2003 and 2012. It includes a foreword by Dr Farish A. Noor, a local political scientist and historian. It contains 90 articles which are written thematically including a special written introduction on the topics discussed in the book. It also includes two previously unpublished articles.
She is an active campaigner for women's rights. In 2006 she has described the status of Muslim women in Malaysia as similar to that of the Black South Africans under apartheid.
Marina has called for an end to discrimination based on sexual orientations in 1998 and 1999.
She had appeared in Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad's Documentary released in late 2009 with the rest of the members of the Mahathir Family.
In 2010, she was awarded UN Person of The Year for her volunteer work in combatting HIV/AIDS.
- 50 days : Rantings, ZI Publications Sdn. Bhd, 2009. ISBN 9789675266003
- Hidden voices : true Malaysian experience of AIDS, as editor, with Wan Zawawi Ibrahim, Malaysian AIDS Councils, 1999. ISBN 9834019211
- In Liberal Doses, Star Publications, 1997. ISBN 978-9839950779
- Eyes : a photographic journey through the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, with Rene Burbi and Leonard Lueras, Eyes on Asian, 1993. ISBN 0356044149
- Telling It Straight, EDM Pte Ltd, 2012. ISBN 978-981-4385-29-9
- PASSAGE. Asiaweek (16 July 1999)
- Cheng, Nicholas (11 November 2012). "Marina tells it straight". thestar.com.my. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "Telling It Straight - Marina Mahathir's Musings in a book". thestar.com.my. 9 November 2012. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Asia-Pacific | PM's daughter slams Malaysian anti-gay group. BBC News (1998-10-23). Retrieved on 2014-01-07.
- Tara Sosrowardoyo (b. 1953, New York City). artsasia.com.my