Marine National Park, Gulf of Kutch
|Marine National Park, Gulf of Kutch|
|Location||Gulf of Kutch, Gujarat, India|
|Governing body||Forest Department of Gujarat|
Marine National Park in the Gulf of Kutch is situated on the southern shore of the Gulf of Kachchh in the Jamnagar District of Gujarat state, India. In 1980, an area of 270 km2. from Okha to Jodiya was declared Marine Sanctuary. Later, in 1982, a core area of 110 km2 was declared Marine National Park under the provisions of the Wildlife (protection) Act, 1972 of India. It is the first national marine park of India. There are 42 islands on the Jamnagar coast in the Marine National Park, most of them surrounded by reefs. The best known island is Pirotan.
Among the fauna found here include: coral, Dugong and smaller cetaceans (Finless Porpoise, Common Dolphin, Bottlenose Dolphin, Indo-Pacific Humpback Dolphin). Larger whales such as Blue Whales, Sei Whales, Humpback Whales, and Sperm Whales were possibly almost wiped out due to illegal whaling by Soviet Union with help from Japan. Whale Sharks can be found in deeper areas. A surprisingly large scale Greater Flamingo colony, reaching up to 20,000 nests is known to occur along the gulf. There are 42 islands in the Arabian Sea with coral reefs and the park is situated in one of those.
Biodiversity and Conservation challenges
Marine National Park of Gulf of Kutchh is a fragile ecosystem. In recent years, biodiversity of marine park has been under threat on several scores like extraction of corals and sands by cement industries, increased turbidity of water, oil refineries, chemical industries and mechanised fishing boats.
- Arid Forest Research Institute
- Coral reefs in India
- Indian Wild Ass Sanctuary
- List of national parks and wildlife sanctuaries of Gujarat, India
Notes and references
- Apte, Deepak. "Marine National Park, Gulf of Kutchh: A conservation challenge". Bombay Natural History Society. pp. 26–27. Retrieved 2009-01-22.
- TNN - The Times of India. 2009. Gulf of Kutch favourite dolphin playground. Retrieved on May 13. 2014
- Jackson J.. 2006. Diving with Giants. pp.59. New Holland Publishers Ltd. Retrieved on December 17. 2014
- Mammals. Retrieved on May 13. 2014
- The Marine Mammal Conservation Network of India.Balaenoptera borealis. Retrieved on May 13. 2014
- Clapham P.. Ivashchenko Y.. Marine Fisheries Review. Retrieved on May 13. 2014
- Gujarat Tourism. Marine National Park. Retrieved on May 13. 2014
- Thapar V.. 1998. Land of the Tiger. pp.161. University of California Press. Retrieved on May 13. 2014
- "A marine park in Gujarat on its way to become hot tourist spot". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- Biswas N.. The Gulf of Kutch Marine National Park and Sanctuary: A Case Study. International Collective in Support of Fishworkers Chennai. Retrieved on May 13. 2014
- www.jamnagar.org Tourist information about the Marine National Park
- Images Gulf of Kutch Marine National Park in Jamnagar
- Birds and Wildlife in Jamnagar
- Hard Corals Order:Scleractinia From Gulf of Kutch
|This article about a location in Jamnagar district, Gujarat, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about protected areas of India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|