Marinho Chagas, real name Francisco das Chagas Marinho, (born February 8, 1952 in Natal) is a former association footballer.
He played left-back with Botafogo de Futebol e Regatas and the Brazilian national team. He played the Football World Cup 1974. He was a skillful and innovative left lateral who was considered at the time one of the top players at his position. He was a complete player who was strong on defense but also enjoyed joining the attack and did so very effectively, and is considered a pioneer, becoming very influential in helping the lateral position evolve into what it is in today's Brazilian football.
He travelled the world and played for many different clubs in Brazil, the USA and Germany, always showing great skill and quality, but not settling anywhere for too long. His longest stint was at Botafogo de Futebol e Regatas where he stayed four years from 1972 to 1976. In 1981 at São Paulo FC he won the Paulista title.
Marinho Chagas is no relation to the Brazilian serial killer Francisco das Chagas Rodrigues de Brito, often referred to in press as simply Francisco das Chagas
- 1968–1968: Riachuelo (Brazil)
- 1969–1970: ABC Futebol Clube (Brazil)
- 1970–1972: Clube Náutico Capibaribe
- 1972–1976: Botafogo de Futebol e Regatas
- 1977–1978: Fluminense Football Club
- 1979–1979: New York Cosmos (US)
- 1980–1980: Fort Lauderdale Strikers (US)
- 1981–1983: São Paulo Futebol Clube (Brazil)
- 1983–1983: Bangu Atlético Clube (Brazil)
- 1984–1984: Fortaleza Esporte Clube (Brazil)
- 1985–1985: América de Natal (Brazil)
- 1986–1987: Los Angeles Heat (US)
- 1987–1988: Harlekin Augsburg (Germany)
He received the “Brazilian Silver ball” in 1972, 1973 and 1981.
With Brazil's national team he played 36 matches(8 non-official) and scored four goals. He was a starter for every match during the 1974 FIFA World Cup, part of a very solid defense which allowed 4 goals in 7 matches in their way to a 4th place finish.
- Campeonato Potiguar (Rio Grande do Norte State championship) in 1971 with ABC Futebol Clube
- Rio Branco Cup in 1976 with Botafogo de Futebol e Regatas
- Roca Cup in 1976 with Botafogo de Futebol e Regatas
- Campeonato Paulista (São Paulo State championship) in 1981 with São Paulo Futebol Clube
- Renegades' Sunbelt Outdoor Slate Set Tulsa World – Sunday, April 7, 1991
- Francisco das Chagas Rodrigues de Brito Man accused of killing 42 boys is sentenced – Brazilian gets 20 years in first of what could be more trials MSNBC 11:36 am PT, Wed., Oct. 25, 2006