June 25, 1974 |
Buffalo, New York, United States
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Associated acts||The Wallflowers, Ozomatli|
Mario Calire is a veteran LA-based drummer, celebrated for his long affiliations with The Wallflowers and Ozomatli and his wide-ranging freelance work.
A native of Buffalo, NY, Mario moved to California when his dad, keyboardist/saxophonist Jimmy Calire, got a gig with the band America. Raised alongside his two talented brothers in the bohemian Ojai valley by his musical father and artist mother, Mario was blessed with an inspiring environment that proved the ideal incubator to nurture his creativity.
Mario studied jazz and world music at the California Institute of The Arts. He networked quickly and began playing frequently around Los Angeles, eventually landing a gig with The Wallflowers in 1995. He laid down the beat during the band’s peak years, playing chart-topping hits to stadium crowds around the world as The Wallflowers became one of rock's biggest acts.
In 2003, Mario joined seminal LA Latin band Ozomatli, which proved a fruitful partnership from the start. The album "Street Signs" won two Grammy awards and fueled a career resurgence bolstered by the band's legendary live shows. During Mario's ten year stint, Ozomatli toured rigorously throughout the United States, Europe, Japan and less traveled nations such as Burma, Mongolia, Egypt, Tunisia, Jordan, Lithuania and India.
Mario’s career came full circle in 2013. After an amicable split with Ozomatli, he began gigging with The Wallflowers once again as they toured in support of their new record, "Glad All Over."
The idea of service has always been central in Mario's approach to his playing career. Having the tools and the will to give the music just what is required has kept him busy working with his primary bands and freelancing with artists like Rickie Lee Jones, Liz Phair, Nikka Costa, Brett Dennen, Pat Green and many others.
Awards: Mario has won three Grammy awards and was named 8th grade student of the month at Matilija Jr. High School. (from http://www.mariocalire.com)
He is the brother of animation director, Jamie Caliri.
- 1996 Bringin Down the Horse - The Wallflowers - Drums
- 1999 Smooth Sailin' - Marty Grebb -Drums
- 2000 Breach - The Wallflowers - Drums, Vocals (background)
- 2000 Blues for a Rotten Afternoon - Various Artists -Drums
- 2001 Big Slow Mover - Phil Cody -Performer
- 2001 The Ballad of Liverpool Slim - Jackie Lomax - Drums
- 2001 I Am Sam [Bonus Tracks] - Original Soundtrack -Drums
- 2002 I Am Sam [Japanese Bonus Tracks] -Original Soundtrack -Drums
- 2002 I Am Sam - Original Soundtrack -Drums
- 2002 Red Letter Days - The Wallflowers -Drums, Vocals (bckgr), Group Member
- 2002 Trampoline Records Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 - Various Artists -Cymbals, Drums
- 2003 Broken Promises - Rusty Truck -Drums
- 2003 Coming Up [EP] - Ozomatli -Drums
- 2003 Evening of My Best Day - Rickie Lee Jones -Drums
- 2003 Liz Phair [Clean] - Liz Phair -Drums
- 2003 Liz Phair - Liz Phair -Drums
- 2003 Trampoline Records Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 - Various Artists -Drums
- 2004 Everything I've Got in My Pocket - Minnie Driver -Drums
- 2004 Street Signs - Ozomatli -Drums, Group Member
- 2005 Concord Picante 25th Anniversary Collection - Various Artists -Drums
- 2005 Look at All the Love We Found: A Tribute to Sublime - Various Artists -Drums
- 2005 Here Comes Memory - Tom Langford -Drums
- 2005 Over/Time [EP] - Ted Lennon - Drums
- 2005 Live At The Fillmore - Ozomatli - Drums
- 2006 Here Comes Memory - Tom Langford -Drums
- 2006 So Much More -Brett Dennen -Drums
- 2007 Don't Mess with the Dragon - Ozomatli -Drums, Group Member
- 2007 Jessica Callahan - Jessica Callahan - Drums
- 2007 SXSW Live 2007 - Various Artists - Drums
- 2008 Luck's Changing Lanes - Rusty Truck - Drums
- 2009 Collected: 1996–2005 - The Wallflowers - Drums
- 2010 Fire Away - Ozomatli - Drums, Group Member
- 2012 Ozokidz - Ozomatli - Drums, Group Member
- 2014 Place In the Sun - Ozomatli - Drums