Mario Kart 8
|Mario Kart 8|
Packaging artwork released for all territories.
|Developer(s)||Nintendo EAD Group No. 1|
Mario Kart 8 (マリオカート8 Mario Kāto Eito?) is an upcoming kart-racing game in development for the Wii U. It is the eleventh installment in Nintendo's Mario Kart franchise, and the eighth in the main series. The game is scheduled for release on May 30, 2014.
The game continues the traditional gameplay of the franchise, in which characters from the Mario universe race against each other in go-karts, attempting to hinder their opponents or improve their racing performance using various tools found in item boxes. Returning features from previous installments include motorbikes and 12-player racing from Mario Kart Wii, and hangliders and underwater racing from Mario Kart 7. New to this series include HD visuals and a focus on anti-gravity sections, allowing racers to drive on walls and ceilings. The game will feature local and online multiplayer modes for up to twelve racers. A new feature, called Mario Kart TV, allows players to use Miiverse to share clips from their races. The game will be compatible with the Wii U GamePad, Wii Remote and Nunchuk, Wii U Pro Controller, and the Wii Wheel. The game runs at 60 frames per second, even in two players, and Nintendo is aiming to push it to four players.
|This section requires expansion. (July 2013)|
Initially confirmed in a January 2013 Nintendo Direct presentation, the game was later unveiled at E3 2013. The 8 in the game's logo was designed to resemble a Möbius strip, one of the tracks in the game. Also, Hideki Konno stated that a Mario Kart: Double Dash!! element might be put into the game, due to it being a common suggestion.[better source needed] Early in development, the idea of using a drill to drill through the earth was considered, but was scrapped for not being as creative as anti-gravity.
- Konno, Hideki. "Wii U Developer Direct - Mario Kart 8 @E3 2013". YouTube.
- Osborn, Alex (January 29, 2014). "Mario Kart 8 Releasing in May, Greater Focus on GamePad, NFC Game Announcements Coming at E3". Game Revolution.
- Rigg, Jamie (2012-11-18). "Mario Kart 8 launching on Wii U in spring 2014 (video)". Engadget.com. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "Mario Kart 8 Team Talk GamePad Features, Track Design And F-Zero - Wii U News @ Nintendo Life". Nintendolife.com. Retrieved 2013-09-07.
- "E3 2013: Nintendo’s Hideki Konno Pulls Back The Curtain On ‘Mario Kart 8′". Multiplayerblog.mtv.com. 2013-06-17. Retrieved 2013-09-07.