|Developer(s)||Nintendo EAD Group No. 4|
|Genre(s)||Level editor, platform|
Mario Maker is an upcoming side-scroller game creation game, developed and published by Nintendo for the Wii U video game console, scheduled for release in September 2015. The game is based upon a level editor, in which users can create and play their own Mario levels.
During its E3 2014 unveiling, it was depicted that players can easily switch between two different visual styles: the original Super Mario Bros. 8-bit NES graphics, and the New Super Mario Bros. U style of HD graphics. They later showed that players will additionally be able to switch to and from Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World graphics during the 2014 Video Game Awards. Nintendo plans to include more visual styles, even from non-Mario games. In 2015, Nintendo announced that people could try out Mario Maker at Best Buy stores across North America from June 17 to June 20. 
The game was conceived as a tool by Nintendo's internal development team, to be used within the company. The team, however, quickly realized the tool's potential as a game and pitched the idea to senior game designer Takashi Tezuka.
Meanwhile, Tezuka had been wanting to make a Wii U followup to Mario Paint that uses the Wii U GamePad. Upon seeing the Mario Maker tool however, Tezuka realized that a level making tool was more marketable than a mere drawing program. He noted to Polygon that building levels is "not as difficult or out of reach as drawing is" but that he "was inspired to bring the fun of Mario Paint into this course editor". The game is being directed by Yosuke Oshino, who previously worked as a programmer on Pikmin, Pikmin 2, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
- Mario video games – Wikipedia book
- Mario Artist: Paint Studio, the Nintendo 64 followup to Mario Paint
- Satoru Iwata (April 2, 2015). Nintendo Direct 2015.4.2 プレゼンテーション映像 [Nintendo Direct 2015.4.2 Presentation Clip] (in Japanese). Event occurs at 16:57. Retrieved April 3, 2015.
- McMahon, Conor (April 2, 2015). "Get Ready To Build With Mario Maker On Wii U This September". Nintendo Life. Archived from the original on April 2, 2015. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- Otero, José (April 1, 2015). "Here's All the News from April's Nintendo Direct". IGN. Ziff Davis. Archived from the original on April 2, 2015. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- "New Zelda, Star Fox, Splatoon trailers – Nintendo @ E3 2014". Metro.co.uk. June 10, 2014. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- Sliva, Marty (June 10, 2014). "E3 2014: Nintendo Unveils Mario Maker for Wii U". IGN. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- Parish, Jeremy (June 12, 2014). "E3 2014: I'm Unreasonably Excited About Mario Maker [Updated]". US Gamer. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- "Nintendo- Get Ready For E3 2015!". May 13, 2015.
- Lien, Tracey (June 13, 2014). "Mario Maker started out as a tool for Nintendo's developers". Polygon. Retrieved September 22, 2014.
- Bivens, Danny (June 16, 2014). "Team Behind Mario Maker Consists of Individuals from Multiple Nintendo Teams". Nintendo World Report.