Marion, South Carolina
|Marion, South Carolina|
|Motto: "The Swamp Fox City"|
Location of Marion in South Carolina
|• Total||4.3 sq mi (11.2 km2)|
|• Land||4.3 sq mi (11.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||72 ft (22 m)|
|• Density||1,626/sq mi (627.9/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1246533|
Marion is a city in Marion County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 7,042 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Marion County. It is named for Francis Marion, a Brigadier General from South Carolina in the American Revolutionary War.
Marion is located at .(34.180088, -79.397098)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.3 square miles (11 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,042 people, 2,765 households, and 1,913 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,627.5 people per square mile (627.9/km²). There were 3,081 housing units at an average density of 712.0 per square mile (274.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 66.22% African American, 32.14% White, 0.14% Native American, 0.40% Asian, 0.40% from other races, and 0.71% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.02% of the population.
There were 2,765 households out of which 31.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 34.9% were married couples living together, 30.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.8% were non-families. 28.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 3.11.
In the city the population was spread out with 29.2% under the age of 18, 9.5% from 18 to 24, 24.9% from 25 to 44, 21.5% from 45 to 64, and 14.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 76.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 69.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $24,265, and the median income for a family was $31,844. Males had a median income of $26,917 versus $21,667 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,551. About 23.1% of families and 27.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 38.8% of those under age 18 and 24.0% of those age 65 or over.
- Levern Tart, American basketball player
- Myrtle Beach International Airport (MYR), 43 miles East-South-East from Marion.
- Marion County Airport (MAO)
- Beneteau - A French sail and motorboat manufacturer
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.