Marion Blue Racers
|Marion Blue Racers|
|Team history||Marion Blue Racers (2011-present)|
|Based in||Marion, Ohio|
|Arena||Veterans Memorial Coliseum|
|Colors||Blue, Light Blue, Red, White
|Head coach||LaMonte Coleman|
|General Manager||LaMonte Coleman|
|Division titles||1: (South: 2014)|
|Playoff berths||3: (2011, 2012, 2014)|
The Marion Blue Racers are a professional indoor football team based in Marion, Ohio. The team is currently a member of the X-League Indoor Football (XLIF). The Blue Racers began play as an expansion team in the Continental Indoor Football League (CIFL) in 2011, before moving to the United Indoor Football League (UIFL) for the 2012 season. The Blue Racers returned to the CIFL in 2013. The team had announced that it would be joining the Xtreme Indoor Football League (XIFL) for the 2014, but later re-signed with the CIFL. The Blue Racers are the second indoor football team to be based in Marion, the first being CIFL charter members the Marion Mayhem from 2006 to 2010. The Owners of the Blue Racers are LaMonte and Shavonne Coleman. The Blue Racers play their home games at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Marion, Ohio.
- 1 Franchise history
- 2 Players of note
- 3 Coaches of note
- 4 Statistics and records
- 5 References
- 6 External links
The franchise couldn't have asked for a more exciting start than their first game on March 5, 2011. Marion entered the 4th quarter trailing 37-23 to the Port Huron Predators. They started their comeback by scoring a touchdown with 10:31 left in the game. Mike Tatum caught a nine yard touchdown pass from Josh Harris and Tyler Lorenz added the extra point, cutting Port Huron’s lead was cut to 37-30. With 3:27 left in the game, Harris ran in from three yards out to tie the game. The game winning score came on an eight yard run by Harris with 27 seconds to play. Port Huron quarterback Jim Roth was intercepted by Bryan Williams as time expired to secure the victory. On April 2, 2011, the Blue Racers set a CIFL record with 8 rushing touchdowns in a single game, against the Indianapolis Enforcers. After the Blue Racers got off to a 3-1 start, Demetrius Ross stepped down from his Head Coaching position, citing personal reasons. His Defensive Coordinator, Ryan Terry took over as Head Coach, just 2 days before the Blue Racers played their first road game at the Dayton Silverbacks. The Blue Racers went on to an 8-2 regular season record, losing twice to the Cincinnati Commandos. The team defeated the Dayton Silverbacks 53-18 in the league Semi-Finals, before being defeated by the Commandos again in the 2011 CIFL Championship Game 44-29.
On July 5, 2011, the Blue Racers announced they were leaving the CIFL to join the Ultimate Indoor Football League. The Blue Racers were added as a member of the Northern Conference, re-uniting with, their arch-rivals, the Cincinnati Commandos. On August 17, 2011, Lorenzo Styles was named the 3rd head coach in franchise history. In February, team CEO and General Manager, LaMonte Coleman, took a coaching position with the Pittsburgh Power of the Arena Football League. The following day, Ryan Sawyer was named the team's interim general manager while Coleman was coaching in Pittsburgh. On March 30, 2012, Styles resigned as the head coach of the Blue Racers after compiling a 3-1 record, citing personal reason as the reason for his resignation. Offensive Coordinator Marc Huddleston, took over as the team's head coach. The team remained a strong pipeline for the Pittsburgh Power, as both the team's kickers, Trey Kramer and Seth Burkholder, signed with the team. The Blue Racers finished the season with a 7-4 record, earning the 3rd seed in the UIFL North playoff. The team traveled to play the second seeeded Erie Explosion, where the game was played at a high school field, where the team had built walls for the playing field. It is the first time an indoor football game, has been played outdoors. The Explosion went on to defeat the Blue Racers 56-47, after the Blue Racers had led 22-0 early in the game.
The Blue Racers announced they would be leaving the UIFL following the conclusion of the 2012 season. A few days later, the franchise returned to the CIFL. On September 18, 2012, the Blue Racers name, CEO and General Manager, LaMonte Coleman, as the team's 5th head coach in franchise history. Three weeks before the start of the season, the Blue Racers announced that offensive coordinator, Martino Theus, had been promoted to Head Coach for the 2013 season. Theus was later removed as the head coach in Marion after a 1-4 start. Marc Huddleston finish the season as the Blue Racers head coach, as the team finish the season 2-8. Every home game of the 2013 season was be shown on WMNO Marion TV 22, available via broadcast on UHF channel 22 and on Time Warner Cable channel 3 (Marion only).
In May 2013, the Blue Racers announced that they were leaving the CIFL again, this time join the Xtreme Indoor Football League. The league was supposed to be ran by Blue Racers owner, LaMonte Coleman. However in August 2013, the Blue Racers re-signed with the CIFL to a multi-year contract. Coleman has hired Marc Huddleston as the 2014 Head Coach and Director of Football Operations. After a 2-1 start, the Blue Racers announced that owner LaMonte Coleman would be taking over as the team's Head Coach. The Blue Racers recovered from a down season in 2013, by winning the CIFL's new South Division title, clinching them homefield advantage in the South Division playoffs. The Blue Racers faced off against the Northern Kentucky River Monsters in the South Division title game and won 56-40. With the win over Northern Kentucky, the Blue Racers clinched their 2nd berth in the CIFL Championship Game. After 3 quarters of play, the Blue Racers were tied at 26 with the Erie Explosion in the 2014 CIFL Championship Game when Aaron Smentanka found Evan Twombly for a score. After Marion turned over the ball on downs, Richard Stokes scored again for the Explosion, which turned out to be the final score of the game, making the game 38-26.
In October, 2014, Marion announced they would be joining the X-League Indoor Football.
Players of note
Marion Blue Racers Roster
Rookies in italics
Awards and honors
The following is a list of all Marion Blue Racers players who have won end of the season league awards.
|2011||Mike Tatum||Wide Receiver||Special Teams Player of the Year|
|2014||Thomas McKenzie||Defensive End||CIFL MVP|
The following Blue Racers players have been named to All-League Teams:
- WR Mike Tatum (1), Bryceson Lawrence (1)
- OL Robert Price (2), Kris Stafford (1), William Haase (1)
- DL Thomas McKenzie (2), James Spikes (1)
- LB Ray Saunders (1), Lambert Budzinski (1)
- DB Marcus Dorsey (1), Steve Witherspoon (1)
- K Trey Kramer (1)
Coaches of note
Note: Statistics are correct through the end of the 2014 Continental Indoor Football League season.
|Ryan Terry||2011||5||1||0||.833||1||1||CIFL Coach of the Year|
|Marc Huddleston||2012, 2013,2014||9||8||0||.529||0||1|
|LaMonte Coleman||2013-present||6||5||0||.545||1||1||2014 CIFL Coach of the Year|
|Marion Blue Racers staff|
Statistics and records
Note: The Finish, Wins, Losses, and Ties columns list regular season results and exclude any postseason play.
|League Champions||Conference Champions||Division Champions||Wild Card Berth||League Leader|
|Season||Team||League||Conference||Division||Regular season||Postseason Results|
|2011||2011||CIFL||2nd||8||2||0||Won CIFL semifinals (Silverbacks) 53-53
Lost CIFL Championship Game (Commandos) 29–44
|2012||2012||UIFL||North||3rd||7||4||0||Lost UIFL quarterfinals (Explosion) 47–56|
|2014||2014||CIFL||South||1st||8||2||0||Won South Division Championship (River Monsters) 56-40
Lost CIFL Championship Game (Explosion) 26-38
|Totals||25||16||0||All-time regular season record (2011–2014)|
|2||3||-||All-time postseason record (2011–2014)|
|27||19||0||All-time regular season and postseason record (2011–2014)|
* Season currently in progress
- Bob Putman (April 2, 2011). "Blue Racers roll past Indianapolis". www.marionstar.com. Marion Star. Retrieved April 2011.
- Bob Putman (April 7, 2011). "Blue Racers Coach Ross steps down". www.marionstar.com. Marion Star. Retrieved April 2011.
- "Marion Blue Racers join UIFL". TheUIFL.com. UIFL. Retrieved 2011.
- "Lorenzo Styles to Coach Blue Racers". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. August 18, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "Coleman Signs with AFL's Power". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. February 15, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "Sawyer Promoted". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. February 16, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "Lorenzo Styles resigns as Blue Racers coach". Marion Star. March 30, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- Shawn Curtis (April 6, 2012). "Generals looking to stay unbeaten at War Memorial". The Tribune-Democrat. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "Trey Kramer Moves Up". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. May 3, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "A Second Blue Racer Kicker Moves On". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. May 11, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- Bob Jarzomski (June 17, 2012). "Explosion erupt in 4th to top Blue Racers in UIFL playoff game". Erie Times-News. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "CIFL Welcomes Back Marion Blue Racers". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. July 13, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "Blue Racers Name Head Coach". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. September 18, 2012. Retrieved September 19, 2012.
- "Theus Promoted to Lead 2013 Blue Racers". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. January 17, 2013. Retrieved January 17, 2013.
- Denny McPherson (March 22, 2013). "Blue Racers have new coaches, players, ideas". www.marionstar.com. Gannett. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- "Blue Racers, Three Other Teams Join Newly Formed XIFL". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. May 28, 2013. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- "Blue Racers Are CIFL South Champs, Ready for Port Huron". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. April 21, 2014. Retrieved April 22, 2014.
- Danny McPherson (May 10, 2014). "Solid physical effort leads Blue Racers to title game". www.marionstar.com. Marion Star. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- Danny McPherson (May 19, 2014). "Blue Racers fall to Erie Explosion in Continental Indoor Football League championship game". www.marionstar.com. Marion Star. Retrieved May 19, 2014.