Marion Township, Mercer County, Ohio
|Marion Township, Mercer County, Ohio|
St. John the Baptist Church at Maria Stein
Location of Marion Township (red) in Mercer County, relative to the county seat of Celina (orange) and Grand Lake St. Marys (blue)
|• Total||41.5 sq mi (107.4 km2)|
|• Land||41.5 sq mi (107.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||961 ft (293 m)|
|• Density||71.6/sq mi (27.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086630|
Marion Township is one of the fourteen townships of Mercer County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 2,969 people in the township, 2,605 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southeastern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Franklin Township - north
- German Township, Auglaize County - northeast
- Jackson Township, Auglaize County - east
- McLean Township, Shelby County - southeast corner
- Patterson Township, Darke County - southeast
- Wabash Township, Darke County - southwest
- Granville Township - west
- Butler Township - northwest
The village of Chickasaw is located in northern Marion Township, and the unincorporated communities of Cassella, St. Rose, Maria Stein, and Sebastian lie in the wester, central, and northwestern portions of the township respectively. Marion Local Schools and the historic Roman Catholic convent of the Sisters of the Precious Blood and the Shrine of the Holy Relics are located in Maria Stein.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Mercer County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marion Township, Mercer County, Ohio.|