|Headquarters||3399 North Road, Poughkeepsie, New York 12601-1387|
The poll, founded in 1978, was one of the first college-based public opinion polls in the United States. MIPO regularly measures public opinion, both in New York State and across the country. The Marist Poll is highly respected, and is often cited by journalists and pundits around the world.
MIPO was started by Dr. Lee Miringoff as a poll on Dutchess County elections for a political science class he was teaching on voting behavior. MIPO was also the first college-based survey center in the nation to involve undergraduates in the direct interaction and conducting of all its surveys.
While most of the polls are political in nature, MIPO does frequently conduct polls deemed to be in other areas of public interest. Other subjects commonly polled by MIPO include sports, economics, society and technology.
It was announced on the October 22, 2013 edition of Real Sports that HBO's longtime, sports-themed monthly newsmagazine and the Marist Poll have launched a new, indefinite joint-polling initiative.
Towards the end of the program on October 22, host Bryant Gumbel announced the results of a HBO Real Sports/Marist Poll: a comprehensive national survey conducted by the Marist Poll in mid-July, 2013 with more than 1,200 Americans over the age of 17 on the topic of concussions and brain trauma in football.
During the summer of 2013, MIPO announced they have conducted a survey on Performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs) in Major League Baseball. Specifically, the poll asked whether or not players linked to clinics that provide PEDs, such as Biogenesis, should be suspended — even if they did not fail a drug test. The second question asked if players who used PEDs should receive eligibility for the Hall of Fame.
In 2012, the Marist Poll teamed with NBC News and The Wall Street Journal to conduct surveys in key presidential battleground states. Consequently, MIPO accurately predicted the results of the presidential contest and U.S. Senate and governor races in each of these states.
In November 2013 the Institute celebrated its 35th anniversary.
- "The Marist Institute for Public Opinion". maristpoll.marist.edu. Marist Poll. March 27, 2009.
- "Who We Are: Home of the Marist Poll". maristpoll.marist.edu. Marist Poll. March 24, 2009.
- Eric Vander Voort (September 19, 2012). "Marist Poll gains credibility with national news partnerships". The Marist College Circle.
- "Marist Poll conducts survey on PEDs in baseball". Newsday. 2013-07-22.
- "Marist Poll Partners with The Wall Street Journal and NBC for Battleground State Polling". Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- "NBC News/WSJ/Marist Poll Gets it Right". Retrieved February 15, 2013.
- "Renowned Marist Institute for Public Opinion honored on 35th anniversary". Poughkeepsie Journal. Retrieved November 28, 2013.