Maritime domain awareness
Maritime domain awareness (MDA) is defined by the International Maritime Organization as the effective understanding of anything associated with the maritime domain that could impact the security, safety, economy, or environment. The maritime domain is defined as all areas and things of, on, under, relating to, adjacent to, or bordering on a sea, ocean, or other navigable waterway, including all maritime-related activities, infrastructure, people, cargo, and vessels and other conveyances.
In Canada, the 2004 National Security Policy resulted in the establishment of Marine Security Operations Centers (MSOCs) responsible for supporting a national response to maritime security threat. The East Coast MSOC is in Halifax, the West Coast MSOC is in Victoria, and the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Seaway MSOC is in Niagara.
The European Union took a decision in 2008 to improve the integration and interoperability of member states' maritime safety, security, border control, environmental protection, fisheries and law enforcement systems in order to create a Common Information Sharing Environment for the EU maritime domain.
In the Philippines, the Coast Watch System (CWS) was originally designed to improve maritime domain awareness in the Sulu and Celebes Seas, but has been extended over the entire island country's territory.
- AMENDMENTS TO THE INTERNATIONAL AERONAUTICAL AND MARITIME SEARCH AND RESCUE (IAMSAR) MANUAL. International Maritime Organization. p. 1. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- Maritime Domain Awareness in the Department of Defense
- "Marine Security Operation Centres - Transport Canada". Tc.gc.ca. 2012-05-14. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- Towards the integration of maritime surveillance: A common information sharing environment for the EU maritime domain. COMMISSION OF THE EUROPEAN COMMUNITIES. 2009-10-15. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- Non-Traditional Threats and Maritime Domain Awareness in the Tri-Border Area of Southeast Asia The Coast Watch System of the Philippines. Rand Corporation. pp. iii. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- "Navy to establish Maritime Awareness Centres". DefenceWeb. 2012-03-19. Retrieved 2012-07-03.