|Full name||Marius Silviu Alexe|
|Date of birth||22 February 1990|
|Place of birth||Bucharest, Romania|
|Height||1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Left winger|
(on loan from Dinamo București)
|2008–2009||→ Astra Ploiești (loan)||26||(8)|
|2013–||→ Sassuolo (loan)||4||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 28 May 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
Marius Silviu Alexe (born 22 February 1990) is a Romanian footballer who plays as a left winger for Serie A club Sassuolo on loan from Dinamo București. He was only 10 years old when he joined the youth system of Dinamo București, and he subsequently spent twelve years with them.
Alexe started his football career when he was 10 years old at Dinamo București. From the very beginning, the talented boy attracted the attention of his coach, who was impressed with his attacking attributes and used him as a forward and later as a left winger.
His great potential did not go unnoticed by Europe's top clubs, and in 2006, when he was 16 years old, Glasgow Rangers made an offer for him (according to rumours they bid €250K for the gifted striker), with fellow Scottish outfits Hearts and Aberdeen also expressing interest in acquiring his services. But Alexe opted to stay at his home club and gain experience in his homeland before thinking about a move abroad.
Loan to Astra
He was loaned to the Romanian side Astra Ploiești and helped the team get promoted to Romania's Liga I with six goals in 23 games. His debut in Romania's Liga I came on 2 August 2009 with Astra, but his loan spell was cut short when Dinamo called him back after only three games for his adopted side due to his great performance against rivals Rapid, against who he bagged a brace.
Breakthrough at Dinamo
He returned to his home club and scored another five goals in 29 games, gaining experience and becoming a crucial component of the first-team squad. Alexe also played for Romania Under 21s alongside his teammate Gabriel Torje, another talented and promising young player, and together they led the team in some great performances, although they ultimately ended up losing to England in the Euro 2011 qualifiers.
On April 16, 2012, Alexe scored two goals in a game against Concordia Chiajna. He dedicated his goals to his father, who had died. A week later, on April 22, Alexe confirmed he had regained his past from, by scoring another two goals in the 3-2 victory against Ceahlăul Piatra Neamț.
Loan to Sassuolo
After expressing his wish in the end of the first training camp of Dinamo to leave the club, Alexe completed a move to Sassuolo on 9 July 2013. He joined on loan, for €500k, with the newly promoted Serie A team having an option to make the deal permanent for €2 million which would acquire 90% of the player's rights by the end of the season. Dinamo București will also receive from this loan €300k if Alexe scores 10 goals and another €400k if he scores 15.
Alexe has played for a number of youth teams, starting with Romania U-17 for which he played 6 games and scored 1 goal. He also played for Romania U-19, where he amassed 8 games and scored 1 goal, and Romania U-21 for which he has played 10 times.
Alexe is able to play both as a striker and as a left winger. His greatest assets are without a doubt his speed and technique. Alexe has great acceleration and very impressive pace, enabling him to dominate the left flank. He possesses great dribbling skills, control and passing ability, which, along with his agility, make him a very tough player to mark. Alexe is naturally right footed, but it is barely noticeable because he controls the ball so well with either foot. He is very elegant in his playing style, and just like Thierry Henry, he likes to wait on the left flank for the ball, before cutting into the middle and looking for the target. Not only is Alexe able to produce scoring opportunities to his teammates, his great finishing allows him to score goals from almost any range, and that, together with his great heading ability, makes him an excellent option as a striker.
Statistics accurate as of match played 28 May 2013
- "Dinamo Bucharest Star Marius Alexe On Chelsea Radar". goal.com. Retrieved 2010-07-22.
- http://www.gsp.ro/fotbal/liga-1/foto-si-livetext-chiajna-dinamo-0-2-alexe-marcheaza-din-penalty-si-realizeaza-dubla-32-55-324494.html Alexe: Pentru tine tata
- http://www.gsp.ro/fotbal/liga-1/motivul-din-spatele-neputintei-lui-alexe-moartea-tatalui-m-a-darimat-era-punctul-meu-de-sprijin-si-de-echilibru-in-viata-323945.html Moarte tatalui m-am daramat
- http://www.gsp.ro/fotbal/liga-1/renasterea-italiana-dinamo-a-invins-ceahlaul-si-a-urcat-pe-primul-loc-in-campionat-326024.html Renasterea Italiana
- "Clauze speciale » Dinamo îşi umple conturile dacă Alexe dă multe goluri la Sassuolo!" (in Romanian). Gazeta Sporturilor. 9 July 2013.
- http://www.uefa.com/teamsandplayers/players/player=103856/profile/index.html Alexe Uefa Profile
- http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/alexe/profil/spieler_48678.html Alexe profile Transfermakrt.co.uk
- http://www.soccerway.com/players/marius-alexe/11979/ Alexe profile Soccerway
- http://www.romaniansoccer.ro/players/a/alexe_marius.shtml Alexe profile Romaniansoccer
- Profile of Marius Alexe at RomanianSoccer.ro
- Alexe profile at transfermakrt.co.uk
- Alexe profile at Soccerway.com
- Alexe profile at UEFA.com