Marius et Fanny
Marius et Fanny is an opera (opéra comique) in two acts composed by Vladimir Cosma. The libretto by Michel Lengliney, Jean-Pierre Lang, Michel Rivegauche, Antoine Chalamel, Michel Arbatz and Vladimir Cosma is based on Marcel Pagnol's stage and film trilogy Marius, Fanny and César (known as the Trilogie marseillaise). The opera premiered on 4 September 2007 at the Opéra de Marseille with Roberto Alagna and Angela Gheorghiu in the title roles.
|Role||Voice type||Premiere cast, 4 September 2007
Conductor: Jacques Lacombe
|César, Marius's father||bass-baritone||Jean-Philippe Lafont|
|Honorine, Fanny's mother||soprano||Isabelle Vernet|
|Honoré Panisse, a sail merchant and César's best friend||baritone||Marc Barrard|
|Monsieur Brun. a customs official from Lyon||tenor||Bruno Comparetti|
|Escartefigue, a ferry captain||tenor||Eric Huchet|
|Piquoiseau, an old sailor turned beggar||bass-baritone||Antoine Garcin|
|César's bar clients, soubrettes, port workers|
Setting: The Old Port of Marseille in the 1930s
Marius works in his father's bar at the port, but has dreams of becoming a sailor. His childhood sweetheart, Fanny, works in her mother's shellfish stall at the port. When Fanny becomes pregnant with Marius's child, their parents urge the young couple to marry. After their engagement, Fanny realizing his disappointment, encourages him to follow his dream of going to sea. Marius abandons her, and she marries her elderly admirer, Honoré Panisse, to provide a father for her baby. When Marius returns from sea and finds Fanny married, he tries to win her back, but to no avail. despite the fact that she still loves him. Their son, Césariot, is being raised as Panisse's legitimate child, and in the intervening years, Fanny has been transformed into "the perfect bourgeois wife".
Other adaptations of Pagnol's Trilogie marseillaise
- The 1938 film Port of Seven Seas with screenplay by Preston Sturges
- The 1946 German-language stage play Zum goldenen Anker (The Golden Anchor) directed by Boleslaw Barlog with music by Leo Spies
- The 1954 Broadway musical Fanny with a book by S. N. Behrman and Joshua Logan
- The 1958 German radio play Zum goldenen Anker, adapted by Walter Matthias Diggelmann
- The 1961 film Fanny based on Behrman and Logan's musical
- The 2013 remake of the entire film trilogy, Marius, Fanny, and César, directed by Daniel Auteuil
- France 3 (2013). Marius et Fanny. Retrieved 3 September 2013 (French).
- Dalzon, Christian (2007). Vladimir Cosma: Marius et Fanny (création). ConcertoNet. Retrieved 3 September 2013 (French).
- Lanzoni, Rémi Fournier (2004). French Cinema: From Its Beginnings to the Present, pp. 67–70. Continuum. ISBN 0826416004
- Mudge, Stephen J. (December 2007). "In review: Marseilles". Opera News. Retrieved 7 September 2013 (subscription required).
- Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek. Szenenbilder aus dem Stück "Zum goldenen Anker" von Marcel Pagnol im Schlossparktheater Berlin-Steglitz (mit Schauspielmusik von Leo Spies). Retrieved 7 September 2013 (German)
- La Croix (9 July 2013). "Daniel Auteuil adapte Pagnol avec brio". Retrieved 7 September 2013 (French).