Mark Blake (Australian rules footballer)
|Full name||Mark Blake|
|Date of birth||9 September 1985|
|Place of birth||Geelong|
|Original team||South Barwon / Geelong U18|
|Height/Weight||200 cm / 102 kg|
1 Playing statistics correct to end of 2011 season.
Mark Blake (born 9 September 1985) is a former Australian rules footballer for the Geelong Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). A tap ruckman, 2.00 metres (6 ft 7 in) tall and weighing 102 kilograms (225 lb), Blake played 99 games for Geelong between 2005 and 2010, including the 2009 AFL Premiership.
Blake was drafted in the 2003 AFL Draft under the father-son rule, he debuted in 2005 in a losing game in front of a crowd of 28,165 at the SCG. Blake kicked his first two career goals against Richmond at Skilled Stadium in Round 18, 2007.
2008 was a successful year for Blake, seeing him permanently become a part of Geelong's ruck duo along with Brad Ottens. Blake developed as a footballer substantially in 2008 and has improved his around the ground work.
2011 was a terrible year for Blake, getting no AFL appearances and was said to be trade bait. On October 19, 2011 Blake announced his retirement, effective immediately. He played 99 games, and kicked 12 goals.
At the end of the 2012 AFL season Blake has had high interests from GWS to come and play at the AFL level again.
Blake attended high school at Belmont High in Geelong, and played grassroots football for South Barwon in the Geelong Football League. Blake currently attends the Geelong campus of Deakin University and is studying for a Bachelor of Commerce degree in Finance. Blake also plays cricket for Newtown and Chilwell Cricket Club and bowls fast.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
Honours and achievements
|Brownlow Medal votes|
- AFL Premiership (Geelong): 2009
- AFL McClelland Trophy (Geelong): 2007, 2008
- AFL NAB Cup (Geelong): 2006, 2009
- Vic Country representative honours at the AFL National Under 18 Championships: 2003
- "Mark Blake Player Profile". geelongcats.com.au. Archived from the original on 8 October 2011. Retrieved 23 October 2011.
- Gullan, Scott (10 March 2011). "Rule change to the bench claims Geelong ruckman Mark Blake". Herald Sun. Archived from the original on 23 October 2011. Retrieved 23 October 2011.
- "Chris Scott gives Mark Blake OK to look at options". Herald Sun. 7 July 2011. Archived from the original on 23 October 2011. Retrieved 23 October 2011.
- Mark Blake's player profile at AFL Tables
- Mark Blake's profile on the official website of the Geelong Football Club
- Mark Blake's statistics from AFL Tables