July 12, 1989 |
Kanata, ON, CAN
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||190 lb (86 kg; 13 st 8 lb)|
|NHL team||Ottawa Senators|
|NHL Draft||139th overall, 2008
Mark Borowiecki (born July 12, 1989) is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman. He is currently playing for the Ottawa Senators of the National Hockey League (NHL). Born in Kanata, Ontario, Borowiecki is the first Ottawa native to be drafted by the Senators.
Borowiecki played two seasons of junior hockey with the Smiths Falls Bears of the Central Junior Hockey League (CJHL) from 2006 until 2008. Borowiecki then chose to go to Clarkson University. Borowiecki was selected by the Ottawa Senators in the fifth round (139th overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. Borowiecki played three seasons with the Golden Knights team in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference, scoring 12 goals and 20 assists. He served as team captain for the 2010–11 season.
On March 11, 2011, the Ottawa Senators signed Borowiecki to a two-year entry-level contract. He joined the Binghamton Senators, Ottawa's farm team, for the remainder of the 2010-11 season. After playing nine regular season games, Borowiecki contributed two assists and eight penalty minutes in twenty-one playoff games as the Senators won the 2011 Calder Cup.
On January 17, 2012, Borowiecki was called up by the Senators and joined the team on a western road trip. On January 19, Borowiecki made his NHL debut in a 4-1 Ottawa victory over the San Jose Sharks. He joined Chris Phillips on the third pairing. Borowiecki was returned to Binghamton one week later.
Following the resolution of the 2012–13 NHL lockout Borowiecki began the season in Ottawa, replacing the injured Jared Cowen in the Ottawa lineup. His strong physical presence kept him in the lineup. GM Bryan Murray stated that the defenseman's willingness to compete is "out of sight". Borowiecki was returned to Binghamton after six games with Ottawa.
Borowiecki's physical play has earned him the nickname "BoroCop" since joining the Senators' organization.
|2006–07||Smiths Falls Bears||CJHL||53||3||25||28||85||6||0||0||0||10|
|2007–08||Smiths Falls Bears||CJHL||46||2||24||26||80||15||1||10||11||22|
- At Borowiecki's date of birth, Kanata, was a separate municipality to the City of Ottawa, but within Greater Ottawa.
- "Sens call up reinforcements". Vancouver Sun. January 17, 2012. Retrieved 2012-01-17.
- "Bulletin: Senators sign defenceman Mark Borowiecki to an entry-level contract" (Press release). Ottawa Senators. March 11, 2011.
- "Bulletin: Senators recall Mark Borowiecki and Andre Petersson from Binghamton (AHL)" (Press release). Ottawa Senators. January 17, 2012.
- "Milestone night at hand for Senators rookie, veteran" (Press release). Ottawa Senators. January 191, 2012.
- "Mark Borowiecki enjoys impressive home ice debut for Senators". Windsor Star. 2013-01-17. Retrieved 2013-01-23.