|Born||13 January 1960
South Derbyshire, England
|Occupation||Author and Scriptwriter|
|Period||1990 - present|
|Genres||Fantasy, Horror, Science Fiction|
Mark Chadbourn is an English fantasy, science fiction, historical fiction, and horror author with more than a dozen novels (and one non-fiction book) published around the world.
Born in the English Midlands from a long line of coal miners. he gained a degree in Economic History and went on to become a journalist, working for some of Britain's leading newspapers and magazines including The Times, The Independent, and Marie Claire.
His writing career began in 1990 when his first published short story Six Dead Boys in a Very Dark World won Fear magazine's Best New Author award. It attracted the attention of agents and publishers.
Six of his novels have been shortlisted for the British Fantasy Society's August Derleth Award for Best Novel, and he has won the British Fantasy Award twice, for his novella The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke(2005), and for his short story Whisper Lane(2007).
His novel Jack of Ravens was published in the UK on 20 July 2006. It is the first in a new sequence called Kingdom of the Serpent. The second book, The Burning Man, was published in April 2008. The final book in the trilogy, Destroyer of Worlds, has been published in July 2009.
Mark has been described as 'a contemporary bard - a post-industrial Taliesin whose visionary novels are crammed with remixed mythologies, oneiric set pieces, potent symbols, unsettling imagery and an engaging fusion of genre elements. The author's ambition is sustained by his invention: his work is distinguished by breakneck but brilliantly controlled plots, meticulous research, deft characterisation and a crisp, accessible prose style.'
- Underground (1992)
- Nocturne (1994)
- The Eternal (1996)
- Scissorman (1997)
The Ghost Warrior
- Lord of Silence (July 2009)
Swords of Albion
- The Silver Skull (November 2009, UK (Title: "The Sword of Albion": April 2010)
- "The Scar-Crow Men" (February 2011, UK: April 2011)
- The Devil's Looking Glass (UK: April 2012, US: tbc)
- Hereward: The Devil's Army
- The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke(2002)
- Dr Who: Wonderland (2003)
- Testimony (1996)
- The Book of Shadows (2006) (graphic novel)
- Hellboy: The Oddest Jobs - Straight No Chaser (2008)
- Hellboy: The Ice Wolves (October 2009)
Plus numerous short stories including the award winning "Whisper Lane" in BFS – A Celebration anthology in 2006, and "Who Slays the Gyant, Wounds the Beast" in The Solaris Book of New Fantasy (UK) December 2007
- Hedgecock, Andrew. "Letting The Subconscious Do Its Job". Zone-SF.com. Retrieved 2007-04-28.
- Mark Chadbourn - Blake Friedmann
- Roberts, Paul Dale (2006-07-03). "MARK CHADBOURN Writer of Book of Shadows & The Age of Misrule". www.jazmaonline.com. Retrieved 2007-12-10.
- Auden, Sandy (2005). "Computer Viruses in Books An Interview with Mark Chadbourn". the SF Site. Retrieved 2007-12-10.
- The British Fantasy Society - The BFS Awards 2008
- Official website
- Official blog
- MySpace page
- Mark Chadbourn at Fantasy Literature
- Mark Chadbourn at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database