Mark Charles Ebner (born 1959) is an American investigative journalist and the host of TruTV's Rich and Reckless. Ebner writes primarily about issues in the Los Angeles area, including pit bull fighting in South Central, Scientology, and celebrity scandal. He has covered celebrity culture for Spy, Rolling Stone, Details, and Salon.com. He has been featured as a guest or contributor on VH1, The Daily Show, South Park, CourtTV, and Fox News.
Born September 2nd
In 2002 he co-authored Ain't It Cool?: Hollywood's Redheaded Stepchild Speaks Out with Harry Knowles. With Andrew Breitbart, he wrote the New York Times and Los Angeles Times 2005 best-seller Hollywood, Interrupted. In early 2006, Ebner joined Tucker Max's Rudius Media as a blogger and celebrity journalist.
In mid-2007, Ebner broke the news that actor and activist Sean Penn was frequenting a Hawaiian resort in the center of a controversial debate between natives and visitors over an ancestral burial ground.
Shortly after the on-campus shooting at Virginia Tech, Ebner reported that Scientology leaders had dispatched "grief counselors" to the scene. According to Ebner and a supposedly sourced document, their intent was to investigate the psychiatric history of killer Seung-Hui Cho. This story was later picked up by Boing Boing and made the front page of Digg.com.
- Ebner, Mark and Andrew Breitbart (2005) Hollywood, Interrupted: Insanity Chic in Babylon - The Case Against Celebrity. John Wiley & Sons Inc. ISBN 0-471-70624-8
- Knowles, Harry, Mark Ebner and Quentin Tarantino (2002). Ain't It Cool?: Hollywood's Redheaded Stepchild Speaks Out. Warner ISBN 0-446-52597-9
- Six Degrees of Paris Hilton: Inside the Sex Tapes, Scandals, and Shakedowns of the New Hollywood, Simon Spotlight Entertainment, Feb. 3, 2009, ISBN 978-1-4169-5934-2
- Pit Bullies 14 January 2003.
- Ebner Undercover: Scientology, Spy Magazine, 1996 Hollywood Interrupted. 23 March 2006.
- Devers, Deirdre Hollywood Interrupted: Fear and Loathing in LA Pop Matters. February 2004.
- Bard Times archive, vol. 1 no. 1, 19 November 1981.
- "Hollywood, Interrupted Basks in the Glow of a South Park Emmy Nod". Hollywood, Interrupted. 6 June 2006. Retrieved 2007-08-27.
- "Tom Cruise's Least Fave 'South Park' Episode Up For Emmy". Access Hollywood. 6 July 2006. Archived from the original on 2007-06-12. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "Sean Penn Dances on Sacred Hawaiian Burial Grounds". Hollywood, Interrupted. 9 April 2007. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "Oahu Outrage". New York Post. 11 April 2007. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "JELL-O MAN: Actor, Comedian, Educator, Tabloid Bitch and...Serial Rapist?". Hollywood, Interrupted. 3 January 2007. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "Ebner vs. Cosby". Hollywood Elsewhere. 3 January 2007. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "SICK: Celebrity Cult of $cientology Attempts to Capitalize on Virginia Tech Tragedy". Hollywood Interrupted. 16 April 2007. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "First Photos: Scientologists Invade Virginia Tech Campus". Radar Online. 20 April 2007. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "VA Tech: Scientologists descend on grieving students". Boing Boing. 18 April 2007. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "Digg: Sick: Celebrity cult of Scientology attempts to capitalize on Virginia tech". Digg.com. 18 April 2007. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "Rich and Reckless" (2008) at the Internet Movie Database
- Hollywood, Interrupted (Ebner's official website)
- Mark Ebner at the Internet Movie Database
- Meeting Mark Ebner, video footage by Mark Bunker