June 5, 1951 |
Hamilton, Texas, U.S.
Mark Harelik (born June 5, 1951) is an American television, film, and stage actor, as well as a playwright.
Life and career
Harelik was born in Hamilton, Texas. In 1987, Harelik moved to Los Angeles where he co-wrote, with Randall Myler, the play Lost Highways: The Hank Williams Story. In 1990, he worked in the Howard Kroder play Search and Destroy and the William Ball play Cherry Orchard.
He has appeared in the films Election, Jurassic Park III, Eulogy and For Your Consideration; He was the voice of Rogers in The Swan Princess, and he has played parts on the television sitcoms Seinfeld, Wings, Grace Under Fire, Will & Grace, NCIS, Boy Meets World, Breaking Bad, Bones and The Big Bang Theory. He also played Sara Tancredi's lawyer in Prison Break. He also appeared on the series finale of Cheers , in a 2002 episode of Joss Whedon's Angel as Count Kurskov, and "Counterpoint" an episode of Star Trek Voyager, playing Kashyk, a Devore inspector. He also appeared in five episodes of short-lived NBC series Awake.
Harelik appeared in the Broadway musical The Light in the Piazza. Harelik's play, The Immigrant, has been well-received, and was adapted into a musical of the same name. In 1997, he released a sequel, The Legacy, changing it from a true story to fiction. He has also appeared in several other plays including Temptation (1989), The Heidi Chronicles (1991), Elmer Gantry (1991), Tartuffe (1999), Old Money (2000), The Hollow Lands (2000), Be Aggressive, The Beard of Avon (2001), Cyrano de Bergerac (2004).Harelik currently plays Dr. Paul Stickley in HBO's series Getting On (U.S. TV series), a U.S. adaptation of a British sitcom by the same name.
Awards and nominations
- 2005 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Book of a Musical — The Immigrant (nominee)
- 2003 Lucille Lortel Award for Outstanding Musical — Hank Williams: Lost Highway (nominee)
- 2011 Lunt-Fontanne Fellow at Ten Chimneys Foundation
- The Immigrant
- The Legacy
both published by Broadway Play Publishing Inc.
- Glassman, Marvin (13 June 2012). "An unusual twist to the immigrant story". sun-sentinel.com. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Rickwald, Bethany (25 September 2012). "Greyssan Felipe, Janet Weakly to Appear in Miami Beach Stage Door Theatre's The Immigrant". theatermania.com. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Christion, Lawrence (11 March 1992). "`Immigrant' Arrives at Westwood Playhouse Stage". latimes.com. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- "Mark Harelik, In the Garden, South Coast Repertory". ocweekly.com. 2010. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Churnin, Nancy (10 June 1990). "William Ball Stays Up After the Fall". latimes.com. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Elyse Sommer. "Light In the Piazza, a CurtainUp review". curtainup.com. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Brown, Dennis (9 June 2011). "Immigration Mensch: Mark Harelik's tribute to his grandfather is a modest and charming gem". riverfronttimes.com. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Breslauer, Jan (13 July 1997). "Addressing Unfinished Business". latimes.com. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Arkatov, Janice (25 June 1989). "Looking for the Real Item". latimes.com. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Rousuck, J. Wynn (29 March 1991). "Artistic themes come to life in Wasserstein's 'Heidi Chronicles'". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Drake, Sylvie (22 October 1991). "STAGE REVIEW : 'Elmer Gantry' as Paradox : A Ruthless Rogue Is Born Again in La Jolla Musical". latimes.com. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Shirley, Don (18 January 1999). "'Tartuffe' Resonates in the Now". latimes.com. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Dominguez, Robert (8 December 2000). "Wasserstein time-travels over & over same ground". nydailynews.com. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Ehren, Christine (26 August 2001). "Last Cheer: Be Aggressive Closes Aug. 26 at La Jolla Playhouse". playbill.com. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Oxman, Steven (4 June 2001). "Reviews - The Beard of Avon - Reviews". variety.com. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Boehm, Mike (2004-06-20). "Think panache, not Pinocchio". latimes.com. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- Rampell, Catherine (2012-05-10). "Spencer Kayden Discusses Her Return to Broadway". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "2003 Nominations and Recipients". lortelaward.com. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Propst, Andy (6 December 2010). "Rick Foucheux, Mark Harelik, Austin Pendleton, et al. Named 2011 Lunt-Fontanne Fellows". theatermania.com. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Mark Harelik at the Internet Broadway Database
- Mark Harelik at the Internet Movie Database
- Mark Harelik at the Lortel Archives
- Mark Harelik at the BroadwayWorld.com Database