Mark Harris (journalist)
Background and education
Harris graduated from Yale University in 1985.
Harris is a former executive editor at Entertainment Weekly. He has also written for the New York Times, Fortune, the Guardian, and Slate. Harris remains a columnist for Entertainment Weekly, writing "The Final Cut." In July 2012, Harris wrote the magazine's cover story on coming out in Hollywood.
In 2008, Harris published Pictures at a Revolution: Five Movies and the Birth of the New Hollywood, an examination of how the American film industry changed with the 1960s. Writing in The New York Times Book Review, the author Jim Shepard called the book "full of pleasures," adding, "He seems to have talked to virtually everyone who’s still around, and to great effect...Mark Harris’s legwork and intelligence transport us gratefully back to that exhilarating moment when it was all still about to occur."
Harris is married to the playwright Tony Kushner. In attendance at the couple's May 2003 wedding were director George C. Wolfe, playwright Larry Kramer, Mike Nichols and Diane Sawyer, actresses Linda Emond and Kathleen Chalfant, and, the New York Times reported, "dozens of aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews, many of them crying."
The couple's marriage was the first same-sex commitment ceremony to be featured in the Vows column of The New York Times. In summer, 2008 they were legally married at the city hall in Provincetown, Massachusetts.
- EW Mark Harris Page
- Mark Dundas Wood, "Enough already: EW’s Mark Harris defends Wiig’s 'Bridesmaids II' snub," Simply-Showbiz.com, January 28, 2012.
- Mark Harris, "By the Way, We're Gay," Entertainment Weekly, July 2, 2012.
- Jim Shepard, "When Mrs. Robinson Met Dr. Dolittle, The New York Times Book Review, February 17, 2008.
- Lois Smith Brady, "Vows: Mark Harris and Tony Kushner," The New York Times, May 4, 2003.
- McCarter, Jeremy (May 28, 2009). "Tony Kushner’s Day: The playwright at the heart of America's cultural moment". Newsweek. Retrieved 5 May 2011.
- Stockwell, Anne (Oct 8, 2012). "Love Stories: Tony Kushner and Mark Harris". Advocate. Retrieved 12 Oct 2012.