Huddleston received his bachelor's degree in political science from the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York in 1972. He earned his master's and doctoral degrees in political science from the University of Wisconsin–Madison in 1973 and 1978 respectively. He has worked extensively in Bosnia and Kazakhstan for USAID and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe in Europe. He also has managed programs for the United States Information Agency in Slovenia, Mexico, Botswana, South Africa, and Zimbabwe. He has published several articles on consensus building in higher education, and several books on the American civil service. Huddleston took up the position at UNH after stepping away from his post as the 15th president of Ohio Wesleyan University.
Huddleston specializes in public administration, a field in which he has published widely, focusing on the senior federal career service and a variety of international issues. Before going to Ohio Wesleyan, Huddleston served in the faculty of the University of Delaware for 24 years, ultimately as the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Huddleston has been an active consultant for both the U.S. government and international organizations in the past. He worked previously in the Balkans, southern Africa, and central and southeast Asia. He gained international development experience in Bosnia as an advisor on rebuilding financial and administrative infrastructures following the Dayton Accords.
- Huddleston, Mark (1987). The Government's Managers: Report of the Twentieth Century Fund Task Force on the Senior Executive Service. Priority Press Publications. ISBN 0-87078-213-4.
- Huddleston, Mark; William W. Boyer (1995). The Higher Civil Service in the United States: Quest for Reform. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press. ISBN 0-8229-3906-1.
- Huddleston, Mark; Dennis L. Dresang (2006). The Public Administration Workbook (fifth edition ed.). Longman. ISBN 0-321-27335-4.
- "Dr. Mark Huddleston Elected the 19th President of the University of New Hampshire by the USNH Board of Trustees,"  accessed 1/1/2010.
- Mark Huddleston named president of Ohio Wesleyan University. University of Delaware Daily (June 12, 2004). Retrieved on 2006-12-02.