Mark Lee (British author)
|Mark Lee (British author)|
November 23, 1957 |
Mark Lee is an English author and speaker who originally qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 1982. He became a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Taxation in 2005 and a Fellow of the Professional Speaking Association in the UK in 2013.
After qualifying with Chantrey Vellacott, Lee moved to Touche Ross (now Deloitte) to specialise in tax. He then worked for MacIntyre Hudson and then Crowe Clark Whitehill where he became a partner in the mid 1990s. He was then headhunted to be lead tax partner of the professional practices group at BDO Stoy Hayward. Lee submitted a body of work (on the Tax issues of Incorporation) in lieu of a thesis to secure his fellowship of the Chartered Institute of Taxation in 2005.
Lee was elected Deputy-Chairman of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) Tax Faculty in 1999, Vice-Chairman in 2001, and Chairman from 2003-2005 during which he was an ex officio Council member of the ICAEW. He also sat on the Tax Faculty Committee, the Tax Technical Committee, the Personal tax and finance committee (which he chaired) and various working parties. He stood down from all such Faculty and tax committees early in 2012. During his Chairmanship of the Tax Faculty Lee appeared before a House of Commons Select Committee representing the ICAEW in connection with the proposed merger of the Inland Revenue and HM Customs & Excise.
On leaving BDO he joined Chiltern plc, where he had two titles, Director of Tax Business Development and Director of tax support for professionals.
Since May 2013, Lee has been Chairman of the ICAEW Ethics Advisory Committee.
Lee’s first published article was in Taxation Magazine in 1988, his last published in July 2008. He has since written for various tax and accountancy periodicals in the UK, including AccountingWeb, AccountancyAge, Accountancy, Tax Journal, Taxation, and New Model Adviser magazine.
Lee wrote three Tolley Tax Digests, and Tax Aspects of Incorporation and Disincorporation in 2007. He co-authored The Essential Guide to Self Assessment, and an Accountants' Digest on Partnership Accounts in 1999. He was also a contributing author of three editions of Taxline Tax planning in the early 2000s and of BusinessWise in 2006.
Since 2009, Lee has been Consultant Practice Editor of AccountingWeb.co.uk. Early in 2007 he started writing three blogs: one on the TaxBuzz, one that focuses on Practice related and Social Media advice for Ambitious Accountants and one that simply contains Accountancy and tax related jokes and fun. He stopped updating the TaxBuzz blog at the end of 2011. The accountant jokes and fun blog was rebranded 'Boring Is Optional' in 2012 to better support Lee's talks and articles on this theme. He also initiated the virtual INABA
- http://old.tax.org.uk/attach.pl/2463/3869/CTA%20News%20Nov05%20web.pdf. Missing or empty
- http://www.accountancyage.com/aa/taking-stock-blog/1939584/bigger-mark-lee. Missing or empty
- http://www.accountancyage.com/aa/news/1760524/headhunters-bring-lee-stoy-hayward. Missing or empty
- Steed, Alison (17 November 2003). "Fears for small companies over 'husband and wife tax'". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 1 October 2011.
- http://www.icaew.com/en/events/2011/july/business-benefits-of-social-media-12-july-11-it-faculty. Missing or empty
- http://www.taxation.co.uk/taxation/articles/2008/07/02/5655/far-far-better-thing. Missing or empty
- [article=article&sort=ds_created http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/search/site/mark%20lee?types%5Barticle%5D=article&sort=ds_created]. Missing or empty
- http://www.accountancyage.com/search?query=%22mark+lee%22&per_page=25&sort=relevance1. Missing or empty
- http://www.accountancymagazine.com/croner/jsp/Search.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1983260091.1317819514@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceadfekklegkfcflgceggdfnfdgfh.0&channelId=-305535&invokingPortal=Accy_Mag&searchString=%22mark%20lee%22&Search=GO. Missing or empty
- http://www.taxation.co.uk/taxation/articlesbyauthor/MARK+LEE. Missing or empty
- http://www.citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/search.aspx?Phrase=%22mark+lee%22. Missing or empty
- http://www1.lexisnexis.co.uk/campaigns/taxdigest/TD_subscribe.htm. Missing or empty
- http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/anyanswers/good-book-about-incorporation. Missing or empty
- http://openlibrary.org/books/OL19850156M/The_essential_guide_to_self-assessment. Missing or empty
- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Businesswise-Words-Wisdom-Businesses-Ambitions/dp/1905823134. Missing or empty
- http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/search/site/consultant%20practice%20editor%20mark%20lee?sort=ds_created. Missing or empty
- http://taxadvicenetwork.blogspot.com/. Missing or empty
- http://www.bookmarklee.co.uk/blog/. Missing or empty
- http://marksaccjokes.blogspot.com/. Missing or empty
- Accountex "Keynote speaker at Accountex 2012"
- http://www.bookmarklee.co.uk/speaking/boring-is-optional-new-keynote-talk/inaba-awards. Missing or empty