|Born||March 31, 1961|
|Occupations||Saxophonist and Composer|
|Instruments||Tenor and Soprano saxophone|
|Years active||1980s to date|
|Labels||Edition Records, Isis Records, Stay Tuned, Basho Record, Harmonia Mundi, Subtone Records.|
|Associated acts||Polar Bear
Django Bates, Loose Tubes Ellington In Anticipation
Following the demise of Loose Tubes, Mark went on to form the co-led eclectic jazz/folk quartet Perfect Houseplants with Huw Warren, Dudley Phillips & Martin France. The band released five albums including two with the early music group The Orlando Consort. At this time Mark also formed his own group as leader "The Scratch Band", performing his own compositions and with this group recorded two albums including "Imaginary Dances". In 2005 Mark put together his "Big Idea" to record the album "Moving Air".
2003 saw Mark join British jazz quintet Polar Bear and the group have recorded 4 albums including Held On the Tips of Fingers which saw them nominated for the Mercury Award and which was selected as one of the '100 Jazz Albums That Shook The World' by Jazzwise magazine.
A project of more of Lockheart's own compositions was released in 2009 with the "In Deep" Quintet featuring Liam Noble and Jasper Hoiby  and the subsequent year Mark was awarded Jazz Musician of the Year award at the All Party Parliamentary Jazz Awards. More recently his compositions have been recorded with the NDR Big Band.
'Ellington In Anticipation" was released to critical acclaim in 2013 and as a septet featuring Sebastian Rochford, Tom Herbert, Liam Noble, Margrit Hasler, James Allsopp and Finn Peters completed a UK wide tour supported by the Arts Council of England.
Lockheart currently teaches at Trinity College of Music and the Royal Academy Of Music in London, and is a tutor for the National Youth Jazz Collective.
Awards & Commissions
- 2013: Touring grant for the Arts awarded to "Ellington In Anticipation" by the Arts Council of England
- 2010: Jazz Musician of the Year at the All Party Parliamentary Jazz Awards
- 2005: Touring grant for the Arts awarded to "The Big Idea" by the Arts Council of England
- 2001: Touring grant for the Arts awarded to "Imaginary Dances" by the Arts Council of England
- 1998: Awarded the Peter Whittingham Award for Young Musicians for his album "Through Rose Coloured Glasses"
- Ellington In Anticipation (2013)
- Days Like These (2010)
- In Deep (2009)
- Moving Air (2005)
- Imaginary Dances (2002)
- Through Rose- Coloured Glasses (1998)
- Matheran with John Parricelli (1993)
With Polar Bear
- Peepers (2010)
- Polar Bear (2008)
- Held On The Tips of Fingers (2007)
- Dim Lit (2005)
- Mirrors (2013)
With Perfect Houseplants
- New Folk Songs (2000)
- Extempore II (1999) with The Orlando Consort
- Extempore (1998) with The Orlando Consort
- Snap Clatter (1997)
- Clec (1995)
- Perfect Houseplants (1993)
With Loose Tubes
- Sad Africa (1989)
- Dancing On Frith Street (1989)
- Open Letter (1988)
- Delightful Precipice (1986)
- Loose Tubes (1985)
With Django Bates
- Winter Truce (and Homes Blaze) (1995)
- Summer Fruits (and Unrest) (1993)
With Billy Jenkins
- Surburbia (1999)
- Aural Art Exhibition (1987)
With June Tabor
- A Quiet Eye (1999)
- Aleyn (1997)
- Against The Streams (1994)
- Angel Tiger (1992)
With Huw Warren
- God Only Knows (2005)
- Hundreds Of Things a Boy Can Make (1998)
- Barrel Organ Far from Home (1997)
- Colin Towns, Blue Touch Paper (2011)
- Disassembler, Disassembler (2005)
- John Parricelli, Alba (2000)
- Radiohead, Kid A (2000)
- Sin É, Deep Water Dropoff (1999)
- Stereolab, Fluoresences (1996)
- High Llamas, Hawaii (1996)
- Jah Wobble, Rising Above Bedlam (1991)
- Prefab Sprout, Steve McQueen (1985)
- "Mark Lockheart". All About Jazz. 2010-03-01. Retrieved 2010-05-22.
- Perfect Houseplants
- Fordham, John (2002-03-22). "Delicate essence". The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-05-22.
- Kelman, John (2005-10-09). "CD/LP Review: Moving Air". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2010-05-22.
- Fordham, John (2009-05-30). "Jazz Preview: Polar Bear". The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-05-22.
- Fordham, John (2009-06-19). "Mark Lockheart: In Deep". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-06-19.
- Gelly, Dave (2010-02-14). "Mark Lockheart: Days Like These". The Observer. Retrieved 2010-05-22.
- Fordham, John (2010-02-19). "Mark Lockheart: Days Like These". The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-05-22.
- Fordham, John (2013-02-14). "Mark Lockheart: Ellington In Anticipation". The Guardian. Retrieved 2013-02-14.
- Quinn, Peter (2013-03-24). "Mark Lockheart: Kings Place - Ellington In Anticipation". The Arts Desk. Retrieved 2013-03-24.