Mark Morford is a columnist and culture critic for the San Francisco Chronicle and SFGate.com. His opinion column is called Notes & Errata and is published weekly. His topics vary from sex and deviance to popular culture, technology, spirituality, music and politics.
Morford's online column was launched in 2000. It was added to the print edition of the Chronicle in 2005, where it ran in the Datebook (entertainment) section for three years in a slightly abbreviated form than the concurrent SFGate version. The column was later pulled from the print edition in mid-2008 by the Chronicle's latest managing editor, Ward Bushee (who replaced Phil Bronstein).
Besides his column, Morford has in the past created, written and edited a newsletter for SFGate.com, The Morning Fix, which ran from approx 1999-2003 and featured comments on news and current events, along with other personal, informal elements. The Fix was once daily, but shifted to being published no more than three times per week and is no longer published.
In 2001 Morford was suspended over a column on the sexual relationship between a teenage male student and an older female teacher, a column that was perceived as overly permissive. In 2003 he was suspended again for violating Chronicle language usage guidelines.
Awards and publications
Morford has twice won first place in the online segment of the National Society of Newspaper Columnists' annual contest. He has been nominated multiple times for GLAAD Media Awards for his columns in support of gay rights.
Morford's first book, The Daring Spectacle: Adventures in Deviant Journalism, a compendium of his Chronicle/SFGate columns, as well as various banned works and samples of hate mail from conservative detractors, was published in early 2010 by Rapture Machine, Inc.
Yoga and teaching
Since 2000, along with his writing career, Morford has taught Vinyasa yoga classes in San Francisco, most recently at the Yoga Tree network of schools, as well as private instruction. He is a certified, RYT 200 yoga teacher, according to Yoga Alliance guidelines.
- Fost, Dan (2001-03-28). "3 Staffers Suspended Over SF Gate Column". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2008-05-01.
- "Morford, Goodman win columnists society awards". San Francisco Chronicle. 2003-06-25. Retrieved 2008-12-31.
- Outing, Steve (2003-06-30). "Herb Caen, He Ain't". The Poynter Institute. Retrieved 2008-12-31.
- "SFGate.com writer top online columnist". San Francisco Chronicle. 2005-07-03. Retrieved 2008-12-31.
- "17th Annual GLAAD Media Awards".
- "19th Annual GLAAD Media Awards".
- Sklar, Rachel (2008-01-20). "Just GLAAD to be nominated". Huffington Post.
- "The Daring Spectacle: Adventures in Deviant Journalism". Retrieved 2010-11-08.
- "The Internet Review of Books: The Daring Spectacle". Retrieved 2010-11-08.
- "Yoga Tree San Francisco: Mark Morford". Retrieved 2008-05-01.
- "Mark Morford Yoga". Retrieved 2010-11-08.
- "Yoga Alliance". Retrieved 2010-11-08.