Mark Oldman in 2011
|Born||Mark Stanford Oldman
January 5, 1969
Manhattan, New York
|Alma mater||Stanford Law School (J.D.)
Stanford University (M.A.)
Stanford University (B.A.)
Mark Oldman (born Mark Stanford Oldman, January 5, 1969) is an American entrepreneur and wine writer. He is the wine expert for Pottery Barn, and wine columnist for the Food Network. Oldman was called the "ideal mix of wine connoisseur, showman, and everyday dude" by Publishers Weekly and his approach was described as "wine speak without the geek" by Bon Appétit. He has twice won the Georges Duboeuf Best Wine Book of the Year Award.
Oldman received his B.A. and M.A. in English from Stanford University, where he graduated Phi Beta Kappa. He also received a J.D. from Stanford Law School, where he won the Hilmer Oehlmann, Jr. Prize for excellence in writing. Oldman serves or has served on five major boards of Stanford, including its top governing body, the Stanford University Board of Trustees. He was previously chairman of the Special Committee on Investment Responsibility of the Stanford University Board of Trustees and is currently chairman of the STARS Volunteer Leadership Assembly, Stanford's premier volunteer recognition event.
In 2010, Oldman released Oldman’s Brave New World of Wine, published by W.W. Norton, which discusses newly available wines, including the wine picks of oenophiles such as Jodie Foster, Hilary Swank, Antonio Banderas, John Lithgow, and Guy Fieri.
Television, radio, and publications
Oldman delivered the keynote address at the Boston Wine Expo, and has appeared at the South Beach Wine and Food Festival, the Food Network New York City Wine and Food Festival, the Aspen Food and Wine Classic He also writes the wine column for the Food Network, and the Austin Food & Wine Festival. He contributes to several lifestyle magazines[which?], and has written a wine column and chooses the wine picks for the magazine Every Day with Rachael Ray. He is a regular on Martha Stewart Radio's "Living Today" program on Sirius Satellite Radio. He is also the wine expert for Pottery Barn stores.
Approach and style
In 2011 Oldman appeared in New York criminal court to successfully contest an open container summons that he received for carrying an empty Bordeaux wine bottle. In 2012 he announced his practice of a "Bring Your Own Truffle" ritual, introduced to counter restaurant truffle pricing.
In 1997 Oldman and his friend Samer Hamadeh founded Vault.com, a website that provides career information by industry and by Fortune 1000 company, as well as company and firm rankings on employers such as Goldman Sachs, McKinsey, and Google. He served as president of Vault.com until its sale in 2007 to a private equity firm. Along with cofounders H.S. “Sam” Hamadeh and Samer Hamadeh, Oldman won Crain’s Top Entrepreneur's Award, the Harvard Business School Club’s Entrepreneur of the Year, and the Silicon Valley 100: The Internet's 100 Most Influential Executives.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mark Oldman.|
- "Mark Oldman's fall picks". Fox News.
- Lynn Andriani (May 24, 2010). "Mark Oldman Outsmarts Wine".
- "Georges and Franck Duboeuf Name Oldman's Brave New World of Wine 2011 Georges Duboeuf Wine Book of the Year" (Press release). Georges Duboeuf. 2011-05-26. Retrieved 2011-05-26.
- "Stanford Associates Board of Governors".
- "Stanford STARS Volunteer Leadership Assembly".
- "Read Meat". 15 June 2010.
- Mark Oldman. Oldman's Brave New World of Wine.
- Bussel, Rachel (2008-05-06). "Looking for Exceptional Voices". mediabistro.com. Retrieved 2008-11-19.
- "Mark Oldman". Penguin Books.
- [dead link]
- "The Winemakers' PBS TV Series Announces Season 2 Casting Call". encyclopedia.com. 2009-08-04. Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- "Food + Drink Interview: Wine Expert Mark Oldman On Drinking Bravely And Shunning Conventional Wisdom". Austinist.
- "Top Chef judges dish it up in Aspen". Aspen Daily News. June 16, 2008.
- "FoodNetwork.com - The Dish".
- Wes Marshall (April 30, 2012). "Fans Flock to See Mark Oldman at Food and Wine Festival".
- "Under the Hood: Mark Oldman - Man On The Move". manonthemove.com.
- "Pottery Barn Channel - YouTube.com".
- Steve Heyman (October 1, 2011). "Bordeaux? Sediment? Tell It to the Judge". New York Times.
- David Segal (January 21, 2012). "Restaurant Bill Shock? Some Readers Say ‘Au Contraire’".
- Dan Reich (16 April 2013). "Founder of Vault.com Discusses Startup Life and His New Healthcare Company Zeel". Forbes.
- Ahuja, Maneet (March 17, 2008). "Owned and Operated". Wall Street Journal.
- "2005 Winners". Crain Communications.
- "Start small, Finish Big: Wharton Entrepreneurial Conf, 11/17". November 17, 2006.
- "Silicon Alley 100: No. 41". Betabeat.
- Nancy Matsumoto (29 May 2014). "Wine Expert Mark Oldman's Renovated Manhattan Home". Wall Street Journal.
- "Wine by Design in a New York Apartment". Wall Street Journal. 29 May 2014.