He is a professor emeritus at the University of Massachusetts Boston and a research fellow at Stanford University's Hoover Institution. He was the visiting professor at the University of Hawaii in 1995.
Peattie is a reader for Columbia University Press, University of California Press, University of Hawaii Press, Stanford University Press, University of Michigan Press, and U.S. Naval Institute Press.
- 2002 – Sunburst: The Rise of Japanese Naval Air Power, 1909-1941
- 1998 – Nan'yō: the Rise and Fall of the Japanese in Micronesia, 1885-1945. Honolulu : University of Hawaii Press. 10-ISBN 0824810872/13-ISBN 978-0-824-81087-0; OCLC 16578691
- 1997 – Kaigun: Strategy, Tactics, and Technology in the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1887-1941 (with David C. Evans). Annapolis, Maryland: U.S. Naval Institute Press.
- 1996 – The Japanese Wartime Empire, 1931-1945 (with Peter Duus and Ramon H. Myers). Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- 1975 – Ishiwara Kanji and Japan's Confrontation with the West.
- Hoover Institution, Stanford University: Peattie bio notes
- Cohen, Eliot A. "Review: Kaigun: Strategy, Tactics, and Technology in the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1887-1941," Foreign Affairs. May/Jun 1998.