January 14, 1968 |
Prelate, SK, CAN
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||196 lb (89 kg; 14 st 0 lb)|
|Played for||Montreal Canadiens
San Jose Sharks
Detroit Red Wings
|NHL Draft||15th overall, 1986
Mark Patrick Pederson (born January 14, 1968) is a Canadian former professional ice hockey left winger who played five seasons in the National Hockey League (NHL) for the Montreal Canadiens, Philadelphia Flyers, San Jose Sharks and Detroit Red Wings from 1989–90 until 1993–94. He was the head coach of the Tilburg Trappers of the Dutch Eredivisie and head coach of the Serbian national team. After one season he left Tilburg Trappers. He went to Japan where he currently acts as head coach of the Nikkō Ice Bucks. Pederson was born in Prelate, Saskatchewan, but grew up in Medicine Hat, Alberta.
Pederson was drafted 15th overall by the Canadiens in the 1986 NHL Entry Draft. He played 169 career NHL games, scoring 35 goals and 50 assists for 85 points.
Pederson was suspended for two weeks in 2009 for an "internal matter" while working as an assistant coach with the Bakersfield Condors, which was revealed later to be due to antisemitic comments toward then-Condor Jason Bailey. In January 2011, Pederson was named in a lawsuit filed by Bailey's lawyer, Keith Fink, alleging that his client faced "a barrage of anti-Semitic, offensive and degrading verbal attacks regarding his Jewish faith" from Pederson and head coach Marty Raymond. Pederson, in particular, was named in the suit as having approached Bailey on one occasion to state: "oh, I got a (Facebook) friend request from a dirty Jew." On January 27, ESPN.com released details of court documents filed by Fink and reported that the NHL is also now investigating. According to a report dated November 8, 2011, Bailey voluntarily filed a request to dismiss all claims of discrimination.
- Loonen, Joeri (2010-08-02). "Coming full circle". IIHF.com. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- Rodriguez, Sabrina (29 May 2009). "Racist comments may have led to Condors coaches' suspension". Bakersfield Now. Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- Baxter, Kevin (26 January 2011). "Former Ducks minor league player says he faced anti-Semitic remarks". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "US Jewish ice hockey player sues club for anti-Semitism". BBC News. 26 January 2011. Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- Cherner, Reid (26 January 2011). "Former Ducks prospect files lawsuit for anti-Semitic remarks". USA Today. Retrieved 28 January 2011.
- Burnside, Scott (28 January 2011). "Details emerge of Jason Bailey's suit". ESPN.com. Retrieved 28 January 2011.
- The Bakersfield Californian. "Ex-Condor's discrimination suit dismissed". The Bakersfield Californian. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from NHL.com, or Hockey-Reference.com, or Legends of Hockey, or The Internet Hockey Database
|Montreal Canadiens first round draft pick