|Born||Mark Roland Shand
28 June 1951
|Occupation||Travel writer, Conservationist|
|Spouse(s)||Clio Goldsmith (1990–present)|
|Parents||Major Bruce Shand
The Hon. Rosalind Maud Cubitt
|Relatives||Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall (sister)
Annabel Elliot (sister)
Sonia Cubitt, Baroness Ashcombe (grandmother)
Roland Cubitt, 3rd Baron Ashcombe (grandfather)
Edward Goldsmith (father-in-law)
Mark Roland Shand (born 28 June 1951), is a British travel writer and conservationist known for being Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother. He is chairman of Elephant Family, a wildlife foundation.
Shand is the son of Major Bruce Shand and his wife the Hon. Rosalind Maud Cubitt, daughter of the 3rd Baron Ashcombe and the former Sonia Keppel. His sisters are Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and Annabel Elliot. He was educated at Milton Abbey School. In 1990, he married Clio Goldsmith, a French former actress and a daughter of Edward Goldsmith. They have a daughter named Ayesha.
Shand is the author of Travels on My Elephant, River Dog and other books. He has also been featured in many documentaries, some related to his writings. Elephants are featured in many of his writings and other pursuits. Being an unabashed Indophile, the majority of his writings and TV features are Indo-Nostalgic. He has a deep interest in the Hindu religion and Indian culture.
As a BBC conservationist and travel writer, he authored a book and the corresponding BBC documentary Queen of the Elephants, based on the life of the first female mahout in recent times — Parbati Barua of Kaziranga. The book went on to win the 1996 Thomas Cook Travel Book Award and the Prix Litteraire d'Amis, providing publicity simultaneously to the profession of mahouts, and to Kaziranga. Shand is actively involved in the conservation of the Asian elephant and co-founded a charity called Elephant Family. He also wrote a book about his adventure with "Tara" (his elephant) in India.
|Ancestors of Mark Shand|
- "The Elephant Man". wmagazine. March 2008. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- "The Duchess of Cornwall Background". royal.gov.uk. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- Mark Shand is the Elephant man, Lifestyle : Mark Shand
- "Elephant Family". elephantfamily.org. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- "Camilla's brother in love split?". The Daily Mail. 17 September 2009. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- Shand, Mark. "Travels on my Elephant". Amazon. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- Shand, Mark. "River Dog: A Journey Down the Brahmaputra". Amazon. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- "Down the Brahmaputra". The Hindu. 14 April 2002. Retrieved 2 April 2012.
- Bordoloi, Anupam (2005-03-15). "Wild at heart". The Telegraph. Retrieved 2007-02-26.