The subject matter of his 1996 book War of the Worlds: Cyberspace and the Assault on Reality encompasses the extent to which virtual reality and blurring of real life with corporate fantasy has become a "genuine cultural phenomenon".
In 2003 his first novel God's Fool fictionalised the life of Siamese twins, Chang and Eng. and his 2006 short story "Dominion", originally published in TriQuarterly, was included within the anthology Best American Short Stories 2006. His short story "The Hare's Mask," originally published in Harper's, was included in the anthology The Best American Short Stories 2011.
In his book Essays from the Nick of Time, Slouka argues that "The humanities are a superb delivery mechanism for what we might call democratic values"  In one of the essays, "Quitting the Paint Factory," he states, "Idleness is ... requisite to the construction of a complete human being;... allowing us time to figure out who we are, and what we believe; by allowing us time to consider what is unjust, and what we might do about it."
His second novel, The Visible World, tells the story of a son uncovering his flawed parents earlier life in the Czech resistance. It gained notability in the UK following its inclusion in the 2008 Richard & Judy Book Club list.
In 2011, Slouka received the PEN/Diamonstein-Spielvogel Award for the Art of the Essay for Essays from the Nick of Time.
|2013||Brewster||W. W. Norton & Company|
|2010||Essays from the Nick of Time: Reflections and Refutations||Graywolf Press|
|2007||The Visible World||Houghton Mifflin Harcourt|
|2002||God's Fool||Alfred A. Knopf|
|1998||Lost Lake: Stories||Alfred A. Knopf|
|1995||War of the Worlds: Cyberspace and the High-tech Assault on Reality||Basic Books|
- Ferrier, Morwenna. Review: BOOKS: The Visible World Mark, The Observer, 8th July 2007
- Slouka, Mark: The illusion of life is bought dearly, New Statesman, 12th January 1996
- Dillon, Cathy, God's Fool Irish Times 13th September 2003
- Heitman, Danny. How can Obama save our economy and our democracy? Humanities education The Christian Science Monitor 18 February 2011
- Ferrier, Morwenna. Review: BOOKS: WAR: The Visible World, The Observer 8th July 2007
- , "PEN American Center", 2011
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Mark Slouka|
|This article about an American writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|