Mark Valentine is an English author, biographer, poet and editor, whose short stories have been published in collections and anthologies since the 1980s. The exploits of his series character, "The Connoisseur", an occult detective, were published as The Collected Connoisseur in 2010.
As a biographer, Valentine has published a life of Arthur Machen, and a study of Sarban. He wrote regularly about neglected authors for Book and Magazine Collector magazine from 1995 until its closure in 2010.
From 1985-88, he edited Source, a journal devoted to the research and preservation of ancient holy wells. He was the first editor of All Hallows, the journal of The Ghost Story Society. He has also co-edited Aklo, a journal of the fantastic, and Faunus, the journal of the Friends of Arthur Machen. Valentine currently edits Wormwood, a journal dedicated to fantastic, supernatural and decadent literature. He has also edited anthologies, and has provided introductions for over thirty books, including editions of work by Walter de la Mare, Robert Louis Stevenson, Saki, J. Meade Falkner and others.
Valentine's early poetry appeared in magazines such as Smoke, Sepia, Ludd's Mill, Amoeba and The Fool, and in the mimeographed anthology Askew to Zimmerman (Corby, 1978). His first volume of poetry, including versions in translation, Star Kites, was published by Tartarus Press in 2012. A volume of prose poems in tribute to interwar European poets, At Dusk, was also issued by Ex Occidente Press in 2012. He was the co-creator of the poet C.W. Blubberhouse with R.B. Russell.
Valentine has also worked on music and sound projects. As The Mystic Umbrellas, he contributed "Journey to the West", a keyboard piece, to the Deleted Funtime independent tape (1980), and as Radio Dromedary created a work of treated short wave recordings. He also issued The Sound of the Sea/The Sound of Pendeen Watch, a sound recording of the sea and a Cornish lighthouse foghorn (Zennor Hill tapes, 1983).
Short story collections
- 14 Bellchamber Tower, Crimson Altar Press (Liverpool), 1987
- In Violet Veils, Tartarus Press (Horam, Sussex), 1999
- Masques and Citadels, Tartarus Press (North Yorkshire), 2003
- The Rite of Trebizond and Other Tales, with John Howard, Ex Occidente Press (Bucharest, Romania), 2008
- The Nightfarers, Ex Occidente Press (Bucharest, Romania), 2009
- The Collected Connoisseur, with John Howard, Tartarus Press (North Yorkshire), 2010
- The Mascarons of the Late Empire & Other Studies, Passport Levant (Bucharest, Romania), 2010
- The Peacock Escritoire, Passport Levant (Bucharest, Romania), 2011
- Secret Europe, with John Howard, Ex Occidente Press (Bucharest, Romania), 2012
- Selected Stories, Swan River Press (Dublin), 2012
- Herald of the Hidden & Other Stories, Tartarus Press (North Yorkshire), 2013
- Seventeen Stories, Swan River Press (Dublin), 2013
- At Dusk, Ex Occidente Press (Bucharest, Romania) 2012
- Star Kites: Poems & Versions, Tartarus Press (North Yorkshire), 2013
- Arthur Machen, Seren Books, 1985
- Time, A Falconer: A Study of Sarban, Tartarus Press (North Yorkshire), 2010
- The Garden of Ruin, God of the Rain, Fetish Press, 1980
- The Holy Wells of Northamptonshire, The Hundreds Press, 1984
- The Paravine Cries, The Stenbock Society, 1996
- The English Leopard: An Heraldic Dialogue, privately printed, 2005
- A Revelation of Cormorants, Night Jar Press, 2010
- Rain Instruments, Valentine & Valentine, 2013
- Author entry at the Supernatural Fiction Database
- The Collected Connoisseur, Tartarus Press, 2010
- Arthur Machen, Seren Press, 1985
- Time, A Falconer: A Study of Sarban, Tartarus Press, 2010
- The Werewolf Pack, Wordsworth Editions, 2008