|14 – Mark Wegner|
|Wegner in 2012|
March 4, 1972 |
Saint Paul, Minnesota
|Mike Winters (crew chief)|
|Career highlights and awards|
Wegner has umpired in Division Series (2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013), as well as the 2007 National League Championship Series, the 2008 All-Star Game and the 2013 World Series. Wegner wears uniform number 14. He is a member of crew B, along with Jerry Meals, Dan Iassogna and crew chief Dale Scott.
On June 2, 2007, Wegner was involved in a heated argument with Chicago Cubs manager Lou Piniella. After Wegner ruled that Ángel Pagán was out at third on an attempted steal, Piniella, who later acknowledged the call was right, stormed out of the dugout, throwing his hat and kicking dirt on Wegner. Piniella would be ejected and given a four-game suspension and he later apologized to Wegner.
In 2012, following Wegner's ejection of Chicago White Sox rookie pitcher José Quintana for throwing a pitch behind Ben Zobrist and White Sox manager Robin Ventura’s ejection for arguing the call, Chicago announcer Hawk Harrelson lashed out Wegner on the air, saying: "I'll tell you what, they have got to start making guys be accountable. That is totally absurd. Here's an umpire in the American League that knows nothing about the game of baseball. They have got to do something about this. They have got some guys in this league that have no business umpiring. They have no business umpiring because they don't know what the game of baseball is about."
On June 28, 2007, Wegner was behind the plate when Toronto Blue Jay Frank Thomas hit his 500th career home run off Minnesota Twins pitcher Carlos Silva. Later in the game, Thomas was ejected by Wegner for arguing balls and strikes. Toronto manager John Gibbons was thrown out of the game as well.
Wegner worked his first career no-hitter on July 13, 2013, calling balls and strikes for Tim Lincecum's 148-pitch gem against the San Diego Padres. Replays indicate Wegner called Lincecum to the tune of 97.9% accuracy, missing just two pitches.
At 5'8" tall, Wegner and fellow crew member Jerry Meals are the shortest umpires in Major League Baseball.
- "Umpires by 2013 MLB Crew Grouping, as of June 23rd". closecallsports.com. June 23, 2013. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "Piniella suspended four games by Major League Baseball". ESPN.com. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- Momentum of Thomas' 500th homer erased as Twins rally. ESPN.com. Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- "Freak No-Hitter: Lincecum Dices Padres for 2013 No-No 2." Close Call Sports and the Umpire Ejection Fantasy League. July 14, 2013.
- Wiering, Maria. "A hero behind home plate: MLB umpire feeds hungry at Our Daily Bread," The Catholic Review (Archdiocese of Baltimore), September 7, 2012.