Mark Anatolyevich Zakharov (Russian: Марк Анатольевич Захаров) is a Soviet and Russian director and playwright, best known for his fabulous and magic realist films. He was also a professor of the Moscow Theatre Institute (GITIS).
Born on October 13, 1933 in Moscow, USSR, Mark Zakharov's father was a Red Army soldier during the Russian Civil War of 1918–1920, and his mother was an actress. Zakharov was raised in Moscow, where he was encouraged by his mother in his persistent efforts to become an actor. He was admitted after several attempts, and graduated from the acting school of the State Theatre Institute in 1955.
Zakharov helped create an ensemble of actors who worked with him at Moscow's Lenkom Theatre, including: Inna Churikova, Leonid Bronevoy, Oleg Yankovsky, Aleksandr Abdulov, Nikolai Karachentsov, Aleksandr Zbruyev, Aleksandra Zakharova, Tatyana Kravchenko, Aleksandr Lazarev, and Dmitri Pevtsov.
Mark Zakharov has been the Artistic Director of Moscow's Lenkom Theatre since 1973, where he has helped to define the landscape of Moscow's theatrical culture.
Honours and awards
- Order of Friendship of Peoples
- Order of Merit for the Fatherland;
- 1st class (13 October 2008) – for outstanding contribution to the development of domestic theatrical art and many years of creative activity 
- 2nd class (11 October 2003) – for outstanding contribution to the development of theatrical arts
- 3rd class (26 April 1997) – for services to the state and the great personal contribution to the development of theatrical art
- 4th class (13 September 2013)
- Honoured Artist of the RSFSR (1977)
- People's Artist of the USSR (1991)
- USSR State Prize (1987) – for the production of plays in the Lenkom Theatre
- Russian Federation State Prize (1992, 1997, 2002)
- National Award "Musical Heart of Theatre" (2007) – Winner of the Grand Award for outstanding creative achievement in the field of musical theatre
- Honorary Member of the Russian Academy of Arts
- International Stanislavsky Theatre Award (2010) – "for his contribution to the development of Russian theatre"
- The asteroid 5359 Markzakharov was named in his honour
- Prosnis i poï / Wake Up and Sing (TV, 1974)
- Zvezda plenitelnogo schastya (Звезда пленительного счастья) / The Captivating Star of Happiness (1975) (screenplay)
- 12 stulyev (12 стульев) / The Twelve Chairs (1976)
- Obyknovennoye chudo (Обыкновенное чудо) / An Ordinary Miracle (1978)
- Tot samyy Myunkhgauzen (Тот самый Мюнхгаузен) / The Very Same Munchhausen (1979)
- Dom, kotoryy postroil Svift (Дом, который построил Свифт) / The House That Swift Built (1983)
- Formula lyubvi (Формула любви) / Formula of Love (1984)
- Ubit drakona (Убить дракона) / To Kill a Dragon (1988)
- Shoot Balakirev (Шут Балакирев) / Balakirev the Buffoon (2002)
Grigori Gorin, the playwright of many Zakharov's plays and films
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mark Zakharov.|