Markazi Province (Persian: استان مرکزی, Ostān-e Markazi ), the classical Iraq-i Ajam, more recently Arak--is one of the 31 provinces of Iran. The word markazi means central in Persian.
Markazi lies in western Iran. Its capital is Arak. Its population is estimated at 1.35 million. The present borders of the province date to the 1980s, when the province was split into the current Markazi and the Tehran Province, with portions being annexed by Esfahan, Semnan Province, and Zanjan.
The major cities of the province are: Saveh, Arak, Mahallat, Zarandiyeh, Khomein, Delijan, Tafresh, Ashtian, and Shazand (previously known as Sarband)
The Congregation Mosque of Narāgh. Markazi province is rich in historical and architectural heritage.
Markazi province was part of the Median Empire in the first millennium BC, which included all of the central and western parts of modern day Iran. The region is considered to be one of the ancient settlements on the Iranian plateau. Numerous remaining ruins testify to the antiquity of this area.
In the early centuries Islam, the name of the area was changed to Jabal or Qahestan. By the early 10th century, Khorheh had become a famous city of Jabal province, followed by Tafresh and Khomein.
In recent times, the expansion of the North-South railroad (commonly known as the Persian Corridor) and the establishing of major industries helped boost development in the area.
Many figures in Iranian history trace their beginnings to this province. namely: Mirza Abulqasem Qaem Maqam, Abbas Eqbal Ashtiani, Mirza Taqi Khan Amir Kabir, Qaem Maqam Farahani, Mahmoud Hessabi, Ayatollah Khomeini, Ayatollah Araki, and many others.
Counties and districts 
Markazi province consists of 11 counties and 18 districts (Khondab County has been added to the counties as of 2007).
Colleges and universities 
- Arak University of Medical Sciences
- Iran University of Science and Technology, Arak Campus
- University of Arak
- Tafresh University
- Islamic Azad University of Khomein
- Islamic Azad University of Arak
- Islamic Azad University of Saveh
- Islamic Azad University of Farahan
- Islamic Azad University of Ashtian
- Islamic Azad University of Tafresh
- Tarbiat Moallem University of Arak
- Energy University (Saveh)
External links 
| Markazi Province
|Counties and cities
- Chal nakhjir cave, Delijan
- Atashkoh fire temple, Nimvar
- Mausoleum of Mahmoud Hessaby ,Tafresh
- Arak's grand Bazzar
- Mahallat's flower and plant festival
- Aveh ancient cite, Saveh
- Chaharfasl bath museum, Arak
- Hezaveh village
- Jameh Mosque of Saveh
- Panzdah khordad dam
- Emarat lake, Shazand
- Azadkhan cave, Mahallat
- Mostufi-al-mamalek's castle, Ashtian
- Dudahak caravansary, Delijan
- Naragh's historical complex
- Sepahdar school, Arak
- Sheshnaveh mosque
- Mahdiabad's Yakhchal