Susaeta in action for Athletic Bilbao
|Full name||Markel Susaeta Laskurain|
|Date of birth||14 December 1987|
|Place of birth||Eibar, Spain|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 1⁄2 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23 May 2015.
† Appearances (Goals).
Markel Susaeta Laskurain (Basque: [markel s̻us̻aeta las̻kuɾain], Spanish: [ˈmarkel susaˈeta laskuˈɾain]; born 14 December 1987) is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Athletic Bilbao as a right winger.
Coming through the ranks of Athletic Bilbao, Susaeta was born in Eibar, Gipuzkoa and given his first-team debut on 2 September 2007, managing to score in a 1–3 loss at FC Barcelona. At the start of the 2007–08 season he was also registered for the club's B-side, Bilbao Athletic, but finished it with 29 La Liga appearances (netting on four occasions).
In the following years Susaeta established himself firmly in Athletic's first team, although still not an undisputed starter for the Basque side. On 31 January 2009 he scored four minutes from time to give his side a 3–2 home win against Málaga CF, in an eventual narrow escape from relegation; he also appeared in six matches in the campaign's Copa del Rey, as Athletic reached the final against Barcelona.
Susaeta netted a career-best 13 official goals in 2011–12, including five in the season's UEFA Europa League as Athletic reached the final –the Lions also reached the decisive match in the domestic cup, once again against Barcelona.
On 9 November 2012, following a series of good displays, Susaeta was called up to the Spanish national team for the first time, being selected by manager Vicente del Bosque for a friendly against Panama on the 14th and scoring the final goal in the 5–1 win in Panama City.
- Scores and results list Spain's goal tally first.
|1.||14 November 2012||Estadio Rommel Fernández, Panama City||Panama||5–0||5–1||Friendly|
- UEFA Europa League: Runner-up 2011–12
- Copa del Rey: Runner-up 2008–09, 2011–12, 2014–15
- Supercopa de España: Runner-up 2009
- As of 18 April 2015
- Barcelona 3–1 Athletic Bilbao; ESPN Soccernet, 2 September 2007
- Athletic Bilbao 3–2 Málaga; ESPN Soccernet, 31 January 2009
- Muniain finish seals Athletic win at Slovan; UEFA.com, 15 September 2011
- Athletic attacking prowess puts paid to PSG; UEFA.com, 29 September 2011
- Athletic down Slovan to top Group F; UEFA.com, 1 December 2011
- Athletic stride past Schalke and into semi-finals; UEFA.com, 5 April 2012
- Athletic leave it late as Llorente sets up final date; UEFA.com, 26 April 2012
- Spain calls up Markel Susaeta; ESPN Soccernet, 9 November 2012
- España abre en canal a Panamá (Spain 'canals' Panama); Marca, 15 November 2012 (Spanish)
- "Susaeta". Soccerway. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- Includes other competitive competitions, including the Supercopa de España, UEFA Super Cup, FIFA Club World Cup.
- Primer enfrentamiento de los primos Susaeta (First head-to-head for Susaeta cousins); Diario AS, 27 October 2009 (Spanish)