Market Mall (Saskatoon)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014)|
Market Mall facing East, McEown Avenue entrance.
|Location||2325 Preston Avenue
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
|Opening date||Nov. 22, 1966|
|Management||Redcliff Realty Management |
|No. of stores and services||over 90|
|No. of anchor tenants||5|
|Total retail floor area||285,611 square feet  / 26,534.1 m²|
|No. of floors||1|
|Parking||921 surface, 452 in two level underground parkade|
Market Mall is a shopping centre located in the Nutana Suburban Centre area on the east side of Saskatoon. Built in the 1960s as Saskatoon's first enclosed shopping centre, it has undergone four major expansions since the late 1970s and now houses approximately 90 stores and services, anchored by Safeway (a second anchor bay is vacant as of May 2014 following the closure of Zellers). It also contains an 18-hole indoor miniature golf course, Ticketmaster booth, a bingo gaming facility, and a 6 bay City of Saskatoon Transit terminal that was added in 2006. It is a regional mall for the area, and is also used by residents of seniors homes in the area; it is also located near two high schools.
A feature of the mall is its two large facing skylights which provided natural light to the mall interior for much of its early history. One of the mall's expansions/renovations in the 1980s actually closed off the skylights, but the structures remain in place.
Market Mall is located on Preston Avenue on land bounded by Adelaide Street to the North, Louise Street to the South; Preston Ave South to the West, and McEown Avenue to the East. It originally shared this property with other businesses, including a branch of the Royal Canadian Legion and a car wash, but expansions to the mall and its parking resulted in these structures being demolished in the 1980s. In the 1990s, an indoor miniature golf course was added, which remains in operation as of 2014.
Former anchor tenants have included Zellers, Kmart, Canadian Tire, Stedmans and a department store that at varying times used the brandings Macleods and Gambles before it was finally closed in the early 1990s. The Kmart location was constructed as part of the mall's most-recent expansion in the early 1990s (which included the addition of a two-level underground parking garage), and was later taken over by Zellers, initially under the branding Zellers Select before subsequently reverting to the standard Zellers brand.
In September 2011 it was reported that Target Canada, as part of its takeover of the Zellers chain, had purchased the leasehold for the Market Mall location with the possibility of it being converted to a Target store in the future. Prior to this, in June 2011, mall management announced that the Zellers location would close in 2012 to facilitate plans to build an 18,000-sq.-ft. expansion to the mall and add a residential component. Ultimately, the Zellers location did close in the spring of 2012, and as of May 2014 the department-store sized bay has a "for lease" sign on it with no indication as yet what if anything will replace it, though the space is being used by temporary vendors. In early 2014 the mall added a major new tenant with the addition of a Dollarama location. With the closure in spring 2014 of both Canada Safeway stores on 8th Street (a consequence of the chain's purchase by Sobeys), Market Mall's Safeway location (one of the mall's last surviving original tenants) is now the last remaining outlet of that brand on the east side of Saskatoon.
During the history of the mall, it has undergone 4 major expansions.
- 1980: 4,738 sq. metre expansion off the southeast corner of the mall added a number of shops as well as a liquor store.
- 1982: 3,500 sq. metre expansion allowed Canada Safeway to double the size of its store.
- 1987: 4,000 sq. metre expansion sparked by the departure of Canadian Tire from the mall added a food court.
- "Unique Mall to Open", Saskatoon Star-Phoenix, Nov, 21, 1966
- Three Target stores proposed for Saskatoon, Saskatoon Star-Phoenix, Sept. 23, 2011, retrieved Jan. 6, 2012
- "Zellers leaving Market Mall", SaskatoonHomePage.ca, Paul Burke, June 3, 2011; retrieved Jan. 6, 2012
- "Market Mall Grows Into the Future" (promotional advertising feature), Saskatoon Star-Phoenix, Sept. 4, 1980; retrieved June 25, 2012
- "Market Mall to Expand", Saskatoon Star-Phoenix, Feb. 23, 1982; retrieved June 25, 2012
- "Mall Plans $3-million Expansion", Saskatoon Star-Phoenix, Oct. 1, 1986; retrieved June 25, 2012