|Founded||1982 (as Canadian Corporate News)|
|Headquarters||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Area served||Canada, United States, United Kingdom, Europe, Asia, and Latin America|
|Key people||Jim Delaney (President and Chief Executive Officer)|
|Services||Online press release and content distribution. Social media monitoring and research.|
|Owner(s)||OMERS Private Equity|
Coordinates: Marketwired is a press release distribution service headquartered in Toronto, Canada. Marketwired was founded in 1993 and incorporated in the U.S in 1999. The company distributes press releases via traditional methods (Associated Press, Bloomberg, etc.) as well as new media methods and other services.
Marketwired was founded as Internet Wire in October, 1994 by PR agency owner Michael Terpin and online marketer Michael Shuler in Los Angeles, CA. It received $17.5 million in venture capital in January 2000. The company changed its name to Market Wire in April, 2003, after making a partnership with NASDAQ, where its services would be recommended to listed companies.
In 2000, a former employee of Internet Wire used the service to perpetrate an insider trading scam. He shorted Emulex stock, then published a fraudulent press release reporting problems at Emulex Corporation, which lost 62 percent of its value in morning trading. He was found out by the FBI and sentenced to 44 months in prison.
In 2006, Marketwired (then known as Marketwire) was acquired by CCNMatthews, a 25-year-old news distribution company in Canada. The company adopted the name Marketwire unilaterally. The company is now majority-owned by OMERS Private Equity, which manages the private equity activities of OMERS Administration Corporation, a Canadian pension fund. The company's history can be traced back to 1957.
In July 2010, Marketwire acquired Sysomos, a social monitoring and analytics service, offering customers the ability to track their social presence across sites like Facebook and Twitter.
In April 2013, Marketwire re-branded, changing its name to Marketwired and introducing the tagline “The power of influence” with an updated logo.
The company's services are categorized into six offerings.
- Online press release and content distribution
- Regulatory disclosure and filing services
- Social media monitoring and analytics
- Online content management and newsroom hosting
- Media contact database and management tool
- Software for collaborative content creation, social research, traditional and social distribution, and performance measurement
- "Internet Wire Launches Second-Generation Internet- Based Company News Service; Raises $17.5 Million First Round, Led By Sequoia Capital & Hummer Winblad Venture Partners". Market Wire. 2005.
- "Defendant in Emulex Hoax Sentenced": Securities and Exchange Commission, Litigation Release No. 17094, August 8, 2001.
- OMERS Private Equity
- "Stop the press releases! PR Newswire sued by rival". Reuters. October 26, 2011.
- Marketwired - official site