July 20, 1976 |
|Occupation||Author, Marketing Professor|
Markus Giesler (born July 20, 1976) is a Canadian economist and marketing professor, specializing in the study of markets as social systems. He teaches at the Schulich School of Business. His research examines how ideas and things such as products, services, experiences, technologies, brands, and intellectual property acquire value over time,  technology consumption,  moral consumption,  and the role of multiple stakeholders in the market creation process.  Before doing his PhD in marketing, Giesler spent ten years operating his own record label and recording business in Germany.  In 2014, he was named “one of the most outstanding business school professors under 40 in the world.”  Giesler is also the creator of the blog “Shaping Markets,” which develops a sociological perspective on market creation and customer experience design.
- ‘Creating the Responsible Consumer: Moralistic Governance Regimes and Consumer Subjectivity’ with Ela Veresiu, Journal of Consumer Research, 41, October 2014, pp. 849–867.
- 'Discursivity, Difference, and Disruption: Genealogical Reflections on the CCT Heteroglossia' with Eric Arnould and Craig Thompson, Marketing Theory, 13, June 2013, pp. 149–174.
- ‘How Doppelgänger Brand Images Influence the Market Creation Process: Longitudinal Insights from the Rise of Botox Cosmetic’, Journal of Marketing, 76, November 2012, pp. 55–68.
- ‘Consumer Identity Work as Moral Protagonism: How Myth and Ideology Animate a Brand-Mediated Moral Conflict’, with Marius Luedicke and Craig Thompson, Journal of Consumer Research, 36, April 2010, pp. 1016–1032.
- ‘Conflict and Compromise: Drama in Marketplace Evolution’, Journal of Consumer Research, 34, April 2008, pp. 739–753.
- ‘Consumer Gift Systems’, Journal of Consumer Research, 33, September 2006, pp. 283–290.
- Shaw, Hollie. "Botox overcomes ‘frozen face’ stereotype". National Post.
- Kahney, Leander. "My iPod, My Self". Wired Magazine.
- Walker, Rob. "Hummer Love". New York Times Magazine.
- Schulich School of Business. "Biography Markus Giesler". Schulich School of Business Faculty Pages.
- Harris, Rebecca. "How Sociology Trumps Economics in Marketing". Marketing Magazine.
- Everitt, Lauren. "The 40 most outstanding B-School Profs Under 40 In The World". Poets & Quants.
- Mohr, Christoph. "Akademischer Jungstar". Karriere.