Markus Kuhn (computer scientist)
|Markus Guenther Kuhn|
|Born||1971 (age 42–43)
Munich, West Germany
|Institutions||University of Cambridge
University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
|Alma mater||University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
Wolfson College, Cambridge
|Thesis||Compromising emanations: eavesdropping risks of computer displays (2002)|
|Doctoral advisor||Ross J. Anderson|
|Doctoral students||Saar Drimer
|Known for||EURion constellation|
Kuhn was educated at University of Erlangen (Germany), he received his Master of Science degree at Purdue University and PhD at the University of Cambridge. He is a Fellow of Wolfson College, Cambridge.
Kuhn's main research interests include computer security, in particular the hardware and signal-processing aspects of it, and distributed systems. He is known, among other things, for his work on security microcontrollers, compromising emanations, and distance-bounding protocols. He developed the Stirmark test for digital watermarking schemes, the OTPW one-time password system, and headed the project that extended the X11 misc-fixed fonts to Unicode.
In 1987 and 1988, he won the German national computer-science contest, and in 1989, he won a gold medal for the West German team at the International Olympiad in Informatics. In 1994, as an undergraduate student, he became known for developing several ways to circumvent the VideoCrypt encryption system, most notably the Season7 smartcard emulator.
In 2002, he published a new method for eavesdropping CRT screens.
In 2010 Kuhn was asked to analyze the ADE-651, a device used in Iraq that was said to be a bomb-detecting device; he found that it contained nothing but an anti-theft tag and said that it was "impossible" that the device could detect anything whatsoever.
- Markus Kuhn (computer scientist) from the ACM Portal
- Kuhn, M. G. (1998). "Cipher instruction search attack on the bus-encryption security microcontroller DS5002FP". IEEE Transactions on Computers 47 (10): 1153–1157. doi:10.1109/12.729797.
- Kuhn, M. G. (2002). "Optical time-domain eavesdropping risks of CRT displays". Proceedings 2002 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy. pp. 3–4. doi:10.1109/SECPRI.2002.1004358. ISBN 0-7695-1543-6.
- Hancke, G. P.; Kuhn, M. G. (2005). "An RFID Distance Bounding Protocol". First International Conference on Security and Privacy for Emerging Areas in Communications Networks (SECURECOMM'05). p. 67. doi:10.1109/SECURECOMM.2005.56. ISBN 0-7695-2369-2.
- Petitcolas, F. A. P.; Anderson, R. J.; Kuhn, M. G. (1999). "Information hiding-a survey". Proceedings of the IEEE 87 (7): 1062. doi:10.1109/5.771065.
- Kuhn, M. G. (2011). "Compromising emanations of LCD TV sets". 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility. pp. 931–936. doi:10.1109/ISEMC.2011.6038442. ISBN 978-1-4577-0812-1.
- Markus Kuhn (computer scientist) at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Drimer, S.; Kuhn, M. G. (2009). "A Protocol for Secure Remote Updates of FPGA Configurations". Reconfigurable Computing: Architectures, Tools and Applications. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 5453. p. 50. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-00641-8_8. ISBN 978-3-642-00640-1.
- Hancke, G. P.; Kuhn, M. G. (2008). "Attacks on time-of-flight distance bounding channels". Proceedings of the first ACM conference on Wireless network security - WiSec '08. p. 194. doi:10.1145/1352533.1352566. ISBN 9781595938145.
- Murdoch, Steven James (2008). Covert channel vulnerabilities in anonymity systems (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge.
- The Blue Book - "The Computer Laboratory: an Introduction", University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory, Oct 2006
- List of publications from Google Scholar
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic Search
- List of publications from the DBLP Bibliography Server
- Markus Kuhn (computer scientist) from the Scopus bibliographic database
- P. Heyderhoff: Bundeswettbewerb Informatik. Informatik Spektrum, Vol. 11, pp. 107-108, Springer-Verlag, 1988
- P. Heyderhoff: Informatik-Olympiade. Informatik Spektrum, Vol. 12, p. 235, Springer-Verlag, 1989
- Results of the IOI 1989
- Markus Kuhn (1994-06-19). "MS-DOS Videocrypt smart card emulator".
- "Iraq backing for 'bomb detector'". BBC News. 2010-01-24.
- UTF-8 and Unicode FAQ for Unix/Linux