|Born||Markus Frank Zusak
23 June 1975
|Known for||I Am the Messenger and The Book Thief|
|Parents||Lisa and Helmut Zusak|
Markus Frank Zusak (born 23 June 1975) is an Australian author. He is best known for his books The Book Thief and The Messenger (published in USA as I Am the Messenger), which have been international bestsellers.
Markus Zusak is the author of five books. His first three books, The Underdog, Fighting Ruben Wolfe and When Dogs Cry, released between 1999 and 2001, were all published internationally and garnered a number of awards. The Underdog, his 1st book, took seven years to publish. The Messenger, published in 2002, won the 2003 CBC Book of the Year Award (Older Readers) and the 2003 NSW Premier's Literary Award (Ethel Turner Prize), as well as receiving a Printz Honour in America.
In 2005, The Book Thief was released and is now translated into over 30 languages. As well as receiving awards in Australia and overseas, The Book Thief has held the number one position at Amazon.com, the New York Times bestseller list, as well as in Brazil, Ireland and Taiwan. It has been in the top five in the UK, Spain, Israel and South Korea, and is still set to be released in many other territories.
Zusak's next novel is reported to be Bridge of Clay.
- The Underdog (1999) ISBN 978-3-473-35234-0
- Fighting Ruben Wolfe (2000), sequel to The Underdog ISBN 978-0-439-24187-8
- When Dogs Cry (2001), a.k.a. Getting the Girl; sequel to Fighting Ruben Wolfe ISBN 978-0-330-36309-9
- The Messenger (2002), published in the U.S. as I Am the Messenger ISBN 978-0-375-83099-0
- The Book Thief (2005) ISBN 978-0-375-83100-3
- Bridge of Clay (upcoming)
- 2009 Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis
- 2008 Ena Noel Award - the IBBY Australia Ena Noël Encouragement Award for Children's Literature
- 2007 Michael L. Printz Honor book by the Young Adult Library Services Association
- 2006 Kathleen Mitchell Award 2006 (literature)
- The Messenger (a.k.a. I Am The Messenger)
- 2007 Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis
- 2006 Michael L. Printz Award Honor book
- 2006 Bulletin Blue Ribbon Book
- 2005 Publishers Weekly Best Books of the Year-Children
- 2003 Children’s Book Council of Australia Book of the Year Award
- 2003 New South Wales Premier's Literary Awards Ethel Turner Prize for Young People's Literature
- When Dogs Cry/High Five the Girl
- 2001 Honour Book, CBCA Children's Book of the Year Award: Older Readers
- shortlisted for the New South Wales Premier's Literary Awards Ethel Turner Prize for Young People's Literature
- IBBY Australia at Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA)
- Young Adult Library Services awards
- "Kathleen Mitchell Award 2006 (literature)". Young Adult Library Services Association. Archived from the original on 19 May 2007. Retrieved 2007-07-14.
- "2006 Michael L. Printz Award Winner". Young Adult Library Services Association. Retrieved 2007-07-14.
- "Winners 2000-2006 CBCA". Children's Book Council of Australia. Retrieved 2010-02-26.
2012 Great Dodge of 2012 Award.
- Markus Zusak on Twitter
- Markus Zusak on Tumblr
- Markus Zusak at Random House
- An Interview with Markus Zusak, MotherDaughterBookClub.com
- "Why I Write: Markus Zusak", The Guardian, 28 March 2008; accessed 1 March 2010
- Random House audio entry