Marlin Coast Sunbus
|Parent||Transit Australia Group|
|Service type||Bus operator|
Smithfield Shopping Centre
|Fleet||51 (June 2013)|
In 1995 Harry Blundred, the proprietor of Thames Transit in the United Kingdom, was awarded the operating rights to route services in Cairns by the Government of Queensland. It initially was a joint venture with Beach Bus and West Cairns Bus Service, but Blundred took full control shortly after.
Sunbus operates from Palm Cove and Trinity Beach in the north, and as far south as Gordonvale and Edmonton. The area with the most coverage is along the Captain Cook Highway between Smithfield Shopping Centre and Cairns CBD.
The service area is divided into 13 fare zones, which simplify the travelling and ticketing system.
- 1) - Palm Cove, Clifton Beach
- 2) - Kewarra Beach, Trinity Beach
- 3) - Trinity Park, Yorkeys Knob, James Cook University, Smithfield, Skyrail Rainforest Cableway, Lake Placid
- 4) - Redlynch, Brinsmead, Freshwater, Sratford, Aeroglen, Holloways Beach, Machans Beach
- 5) - Whitfield, Edge Hill, Cairns North
- 6 )- Mooroobool, Westcourt, Earlville
- 7) - Bayview, Bayview Heights, Woree
- 8) - White Rock, Mount Sheridan, Edmonton
- 9) - Southern Edmonton, Wrights Creek
- 10) - Gordonvale, Pyramid Estate
- 11) - Redlynch Valley
- 20) - Cairns City
For a complete list of Marlin Coast routes, please refer to the Marlin Coast Sunbus section of the QConnect website.