Marneuli District is situated in south-east part of country near to border with Azerbaijan and Armenia. Area of district amounts 935 km². Most part of its territory is located in Marneuli lowland (between 350–600 meters above sea level). Highest point is Garadagh mount (1416 m.)
Marneuli District consists of 2 city (Marneuli and Shulaveri) and 72 villages. Largest villages are Sadakhlo and Kizilajlo. In 51 villages predominate ethnic Azeris, in 11 – Armenians, in 8 – Georgians and in 1 – Greeks.
According to Georgian Statistics Department at the beginning of 2009 population of Marneuli District was 123.5 th. or 2,8% of total population of Georgia. 49,4% of inhabitants are males, 50,6% females. In accordance with population census in 2002 Azeris have been predominating with 83.1% at the ethnic structure of inhabitants. Georgians was 8% and Armenians 7.9%.
After the collapse of Soviet Union economy of Marneuli has broken down like other regions of country. At present Marneuli is known as agricultural region. In 2006 Marneuli owned share 78% of tobacco, 11% of vegetables and 4% of meat production around the Georgia.
- Rural population of Georgia (in Georgian language)[dead link]
- Population by municipalities for the beginning of the year in Georgia[dead link]
- Summary of population census 2002 in Georgia (in Georgian language)[dead link]
- http://www.statistics.ge Statistics Department of Georgia
- http://www.kvemokartli.gov.ge Official site of Kvemo Kartli mkhare
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marneuli district.|