|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012)|
|Song by Pink Floyd from the album The Division Bell|
|Published||Pink Floyd Music (1987) Ltd|
|Released||28 March 1994 (UK)
5 April 1994 (US)
|Genre||Progressive rock, instrumental rock|
2:02 ("Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd" version)
|Producer||Bob Ezrin and David Gilmour|
|The Division Bell track listing|
Writing and recording
The piece was written by David Gilmour and Richard Wright. It has sounds that describe the setting as an island (such as seagulls and waves crashing on the shore). It was composed while jamming aboard the Astoria in early 1993. The high-pitch guitar sounds on the track came from a Whammy pedal which makes the guitar sound an octave higher, also known as a pitch shifter. Also in the background can be heard the wailing guitar effects from the original recording of the Pink Floyd song "Echoes", which were redubbed onto this song by Gilmour for increased textural effect.
David Gilmour has mentioned that "pretty much" all of "Marooned" is improvised and that he "probably took three or four passes at it and took the best bits out of each".
Live and other releases
This song has only been played live three times: On the two dates in Oslo, Norway (one of which is featured on the Pulse DVD) on the 1994 "The Division Bell" tour and at the "The Strat Pack" charity concert, for the 50th anniversary of the Fender Stratocaster guitar, where Gilmour played his "#0001" Stratocaster.
In 2014, for the twentieth anniversary of the original release of The Division Bell, a music video for the song was produced and released on the official Pink Floyd website as well as the anniversary box set of the album. Aubrey Powell of Hipgnosis directed the video, filming some parts in Pripyat, Ukraine during the first week of April 2014.
- David Gilmour – guitars
- Richard Wright – Kurzweil synthesizers, piano
- Nick Mason – drums, percussion
- Mabbett, Andy (1995). The Complete Guide to the Music of Pink Floyd. London: Omnibus,. ISBN 0-7119-4301-X.
- "Sounds of Silence" interview, Guitar World, September 1994, retrieved 28 July 2010
- "37th Annual Grammy Awards - 1995". Rock On The Net. 1 March 1995. Retrieved 2010-06-04.
- "Echoes: the album credits". Pink Floyd. Archived from the original on 2 June 2010. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- Johns, Matt (19 May 2014). "Pink Floyd release new Marooned video...and TDB20 countdown!". brain-damage.co.uk. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- "Pink Floyd to Release 20th Anniversary Box Set of "The Division Bell"" (Press release). 20 May 2014. Retrieved 6 June 2014.