From top left:Kifisias avenue,Syntrivaniou square,Neoclassical houses,The Square at the Train Station
|Regional unit:||North Athens|
|Mayor:||Giοrgos Patoulis (ND)|
|Population statistics (as of 2011)|
|- Area:||12.938 km2 (5 sq mi)|
|- Density:||5,591 /km2 (14,480 /sq mi)|
|Time zone:||EET/EEST (UTC+2/3)|
|Elevation (center):||230 m (755 ft)|
|Postal code:||151 xx|
Marousi (Greek: Μαρούσι, also Αμαρούσιο Amarousio) is a suburban city in the northeastern part of the Athens agglomeration, Greece. Amarousio dates back to the era of the ancient Athenian Republic; its ancient name was Athmonon, and it represented one of the 10 Athenian sub-cities. The area held a main ancient temple, where Amarysia Artemis, the goddess of hunting, was adored, and the city's modern name derives from that of the goddess, Amarysia, which denotes the origin of the worship back in Amarynthos, Euboea.
Marousi is situated 13 km northeast of Athens city centre. The built-up area of Marousi is continuous with those of the neighbouring suburbs Pefki, Kifisia, Vrilissia and Chalandri. Within Marousi lies the biggest forest in urban Athens, "Dasos Syngrou". The Athens Olympic Sports Complex, the largest sports complex in Greece, built for the 2004 Summer Olympics, is located in the southwestern part of the municipality.
The main thoroughfare is Kifisias Avenue, which connects Marousi with central Athens and the northern beltway Motorway 6. Marousi has 4 stations on Athens Metro Line 1, and two Proastiakos commuter railway stations: Nerantziotissa station and Kifisias railway station.
Marousi is also home to a number of prestigious public (Peiramatiko Lyceum Anavryton) and private educational institutions.
Marousi's favourable infrastructure (Motorway 6, Athens Metro, Proastiakos rail) has led to strong economic growth. The main offices of the Greek subsidiaries of several multinational corporations, including Kodak, Bayer, Kimberly-Clark, Siemens, Microsoft and Nestlé, and the ANT1 television studios are located in Marousi. The managing office of Consolidated Contractors Company, a large Middle Eastern and International EPC Contractor, is located in Marousi. The Mall Athens, one of the largest shopping centres in southeastern Europe, is situated in the southwestern part of Marousi.
|This section requires expansion. (January 2015)|
Marousi is twinned with the following cities:
- Spiridon Louis (1873–1940), a Greek shepherd who won the first modern-day Marathon at the 1896 Summer Olympics, thereby becoming a national hero
- Prince Michael of Greece (1938–), also known as Michel de Grece, son of Prince Christopher of Greece and grandson of King George I of the Hellenes. Prince Michael lived in Marousi from his marriage to Marina Karella in 1965, since late 70's.
- Aimilia Tsoulfa, Golden Medalist in Sailing, Athens Olympic Games 2004
- Aliki Vougiouklaki (1934–1996), movie star and singer who appeared in 42 movies, mostly musicals
- Vicky Kaya (1978-), fashion model and actress
- Labis Livieratos, singer
- "Detailed census results 2011" (xls 2,7 MB). National Statistical Service of Greece. (Greek)
- "Contact" (Archive). Vivartia. Retrieved on 6 June 2014. "VIVARTIA 10, Ziridi str 15123 – MAROUSI" - Address in Greek (Archive): "VIVARTIA ΣΥΜΜΕΤΟΧΩΝ Α.Ε. Ζηρίδη 10 15123 – ΜΑΡΟΥΣΙ-ΑΘΗΝΑ"
- "Kontakt." German School of Athens. Retrieved on 17 January 2015. "Dimokritou 6 & Ziridi GR 151 23 Maroussi"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Maroussi.|
|Nea Ionia, Filothei||Chalandri|