Marques Houston in 2012
|Birth name||Marques Barrett Houston|
|Also known as||MH, Batman, Roger, M Houston|
August 4, 1981 |
Los Angeles, California, United States
|Genres||R&B, hip hop|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, producer, songwriter, actor|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, Guitar|
|Years active||1992–2001, 2010–present (Immature/IMx)
|Associated acts||IMx, Omarion, B2K, J-Boog, Rick Ross|
Marques Barrett Houston (born August 4, 1981), known as Batman, is an American R&B singer, songwriter, rapper, and actor. A member of the R&B singing group Immature/IMx from 1992 until 2001, he went solo in 2003. As an actor, he is best known for his role as Roger Evans in the television comedy Sister, Sister.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Music career
- 3 Acting career
- 4 Personal life
- 5 Discography
- 6 Filmography
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Houston became a founding member of the R&B group Immature, known from 1999 as IMx. The group included Jerome "Romeo" Jones and Don "Half Pint" Santos (later replaced by Kelton "LDB" Kessee), with Chris Stokes acting as their manager. At this period Houston went by the nickname "Batman". In 1999 the group underwent a name change but continued on to release two albums under the name IMx: Introducing IMx (1999) and IMx (2001). The group also branched out into film (such as House Party 4: Down to the Last Minute) and television (such as A Different World) before disbanding in 2002.
2003–05: MH & Naked
In 2003, Houston began pursuing a solo career. Using his birth name, Marques Houston, he released his debut album, MH, on October 21, 2003. The album featured the singles "That Girl", "Clubbin'" (featuring Joe Budden), "Pop That Booty" (featuring Jermaine Dupri) and "Because of You". In the United States charts, MH peaked at number 20 on the Billboard 200 and at number 5 on Billboard's Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums. Houston released his second solo album, Naked, on May 24, 2005. The album featured the singles "All Because of You" (featuring Young Rome), "Naked" and "Sex Wit You". In the United States, Naked peaked at number 13 on the Billboard and peaked at number 5 on Billboard's Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums.
Houston released his third solo album, Veteran, on March 20, 2007. The album featured the singles "Like This" (featuring Yung Joc), "Favorite Girl", "Circle" and "Wonderful". In the United States, Veteran debuted (and peaked) at number 5 on the Billboard 200 and debuted at number 1 on Billboard's Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums, marking this release as Houston's first number-one solo album.
2009–10: Mr. Houston, Mattress Music & IMx reunion
Houston released his fourth solo album, Mr. Houston on September 29, 2009. It featured the singles, "I Love Her" and "Sunset". Videos for the album tracks "Body" and "Date" were released online in 2008. "How I Do" and "Case of You" received video premieres in 2009, followed by a video for "Tonight" in 2010. On September 14, 2010, Houston released his fifth studio album, Mattress Music, which contained the singles "Kickin' & Screamin' and "Pullin' on Her Hair". A video for a third, "Ghetto Angel" premiered in 2011. Houston announced on 106 & Park that IMx planned to record another group album together for 2011.
In October 2012 Marques Houston announced a new studio album, Famous slated for release August 27, and released "Speechless" as a promotional preview via free digital download. The first single off the new album is "Give Your Love a Try" featuring Problem made available on iTunes.
- Houston continues to work with former bandmate Jerome "Romeo" Jones (as of 2004[update] known as Young Rome).
- Houston made guest appearances on Jones' album Food for Thought (2004) on songs entitled "Sexapade" and "What Cha Doin' Tonight" while Jones made a guest appearance on Houston's album Naked on the song entitled "All Because of You". The two also collaborated on "For Your Love", a song from an unreleased album by Young Rome.
- Houston made guest appearances on fellow TUG Entertainment artist Mila J's single "Good Lookin' Out" and Yung Joc's single "1st Time"; he made appearances in both music videos.
Houston made his acting debut in the animated comedy film Bébé's Kids (1992) in which he was the voice of Khalil, the leader and oldest child of the titular "Bébé's Kids". Houston later appeared in House Party 3 (1994), where he played a fictional version of himself along with fellow Immature bandmates Jerome "Romeo" Jones and Don "Half Pint" Santos. In the film, they portrayed Kid's trouble-making younger cousins who aspire to become musicians. Houston's breakthrough role came when he won the part of Roger Evans in the television comedy show Sister, Sister, playing the next-door neighbor of identical twin sisters Tia Landry and Tamera Campbell (Tia and Tamera Mowry). Marques played the role for five of the show's six seasons. The show wrote his character out of the script during the fifth season, but he made a guest appearance in the series finale. In 1997, he had a brief cameo in the movie "Good Burger", a spin-off from a sketch on the Nickelodeon show "All That" starring Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell. He played Jake, Kenan's friend. Houston and his IMx (formerly Immature) band members made an appearance in Destiny's Child music video for the single "No, No, No Part 1" off their 1998 album The Writing's on the Wall. In 1999, shortly after Houston's run on the Sister, Sister program, Marques had a brief cameo in Destiny's Child's video rendition of the The Writing's on the Wall single Jumpin', Jumpin' directed by Joseph Kahn. He also played the character Elgin Barrett Eugene Smith III in the 2004 film You Got Served. Following You Got Served, in both live-action and voiceover, he portrayed Dumb Donald in the film adaptation of Fat Albert, based on Bill Cosby's popular cartoon series Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids. In 2005 Houston starred in his own television series, Cuts, which was a spin-off of One on One. Despite good ratings, the show only lasted one season due to UPN merging with The WB to become The CW which caused Cuts along with many other UPN shows to get cancelled. In 2007 Houston starred in the horror film Somebody Help Me. He then starred in the sequel, Somebody Help Me 2 in 2010. In 2012 Houston starred in a kids hip hop dance battle film, Battlefield America. He portrayed Sean Lewis, an ad executive who serves as a dance teacher after receiving a sentence of community service; however, he does not dance in the film.
In 2007, pictures began surfacing of Houston and his T.U.G labelmate, singer Jamila "Mila J" Chilombo (formerly of the R&B groups Gyrl and Dame Four), kissing and holding hands. It was said in some reports that the pictures were old and that Houston and Chilombo were already broken up. Chilombo is the sister of singer Jhené Aiko. Also in 2007, blogs began reporting that Houston was engaged to My Wife and Kids actress Jennifer Freeman. The two starred together in the 2004 film You Got Served. This report was never confirmed or denied by Houston or Freeman.
- Studio albums
Awards and nominations
|1995||Young Artist Awards||Best Youth Comedian in a TV Show||Sister, Sister||Won|
|2004||MTV Movie Awards||Best Dance Sequence (shared with Omarion Grandberry)||You Got Served||Nominated|
|2005||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actor - Comedy||Cuts||Nominated|
- "Marques Houston Biography (1981-)". Filmreference.com. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- "The Billboard 200: MH". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2008-02-03.[dead link]
- "Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums: MH". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2008-02-03.[dead link]
- "The Billboard 200: Naked". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2008-02-04.[dead link]
- "Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums: Nasty". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2008-02-04.[dead link]
- "Marques Houston's 'Veteran' Debuts at Number One". EURweb.com. 2007-03-20.
- "The Billboard 200: Veteran". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2008-02-05.[dead link]
- "Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums: Veteran". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2008-02-05.[dead link]
- "VIDEO: MARQUES HOUSTON FEAT. PROBLEM – GIVE YOUR LOVE A TRY". ThisisRNB.com. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Destiny's Child - Jumpin', Jumpin'". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "The Round Up: Shemar Moore Arrested On Dui, New Marques Houston & Mila J Pics; The Rock Separates From His Wife". Concreteloop.Com. 2007-06-04. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- Posted by juiicySCOOP on Monday, April 23, 2007 at 5:04 PM (2007-04-23). "JuiicyScoop: Marque Houstons Boo". Juiicyscoop.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- View Comments. "Exclusive: Marques Houston Engaged". Bossip. Retrieved 2012-04-13.
- View Comments. "Coupled Up: Marques Houston Celebrates Two-Year Anniversary With Boo". Bossip. Retrieved 2012-04-13.