Marrakesh Menara Airport
|Marrakesh Menara Airport
Aéroport Marrakech Ménara
مطار مراكش المنارة
|IATA: RAK – ICAO: GMMX|
|Airport type||Public / Military|
|Operator||ONDA and Royal Air Force|
|Focus city for||Royal Air Maroc|
|Elevation AMSL||1,545 ft / 471 m|
|Statistics (2008, 2012)|
|Freight (tons) (2008)||1,512.55|
|Source: List of the busiest airports in Africa, ONDA, DAFIF|
Marrakesh Menara Airport (French: Aéroport Marrakech Ménara, Arabic: مطار مراكش المنارة, IATA: RAK, ICAO: GMMX) is an international airport serving Marrakesh, the capital city of the Marrakesh-Tensift-El Haouz region in Morocco. It is an international facility that receives several European flights as well as flights from Casablanca and some of the Arab world nations. The airport served over 3.3 million passengers in the year 2012.
During World War II, the airport was used by the United States Army Air Forces Air Transport Command as a hub for cargo, transiting aircraft and personnel. It functioned as a stopover en route to Casablanca Airfield or to Agadir Airport on the North African Cairo-Dakar transport route for cargo, transiting aircraft and personnel.
Currently (2012) Menara Airport (RAK) has formally two passenger terminals, but these are more or less combined to one large terminal A third terminal is being built. The existing T1/T2 offer a space of 42.000 m2 and has a designed capacity of 4,5 million passengers/year. The separate freight-terminal has 340m2 covered space
Aircraft parking space of 125,000 square metres (1,345,489 sq ft) supports up to fourteen Boeing 737s and four Boeing 747s. The air terminals (1 and 2) are 22,000 m2 (236,806 sq ft) and designed to handle 2,500,000 passengers per year. The cargo terminal is 340 m2 (3,660 sq ft) of covered space.
The paved runway is laid out in the direction 10/28 (almost East-West) is 3,100 by 45 metres (10,171 ft × 148 ft). It can receive all modern jetliners up to the Boeing 747 in size. The airport is equipped with an ILS Cat II landing system and offers the following radio navigation aids: VOR – DME – NDB.
Airlines and destinations
- "Marrakech". ONDA. Retrieved 13 March 2010.
- Airport information for GMMX from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for RAK at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- ONDA website:Investment program 2011, visited 10 June 2012
- ONDA Website: Presentation RAK, visited 10 Junes, 2012
- ONDA website on the VIP service, visited 17 March 2012
- New route to DUB
- Swiss International Air Lines start six new routes from Geneva
- Source 2008 details: ONDA site
- Source 2007 details: ONDA site
- Details up to 2006 from: Overview movements aircraft MA, PDF document
- Details up to 2006 from: Overview passengers MA, PDF document
- Details up to 2006 from: Overview freight MA, PDF document
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marrakech-Menara Airport.|
- Marrakech page at ONDA website (has incorrect IATA code RAQ)
- Aeronautical chart for GMMX at SkyVector
- Current weather for GMMX at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for RAK at Aviation Safety Network