St. John Bosco Chapel at Hope Haven, Marrero
|Area||8.6 sq mi (22.3 km2)|
|- land||8.1 sq mi (21 km2)|
|- water||0.5 sq mi (1 km2), 5.81%|
|Density||4,091.5 / sq mi (1,579.7 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Marrero is a census-designated place (CDP) in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, United States. Marrero is on the West Bank of the Mississippi River, within the New Orleans–Metairie–Kenner Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 36,165 at the 2010 census.
Marrero was founded in honor of Louisiana politician, and founder of Marrero Land Co., Louis H. Marrero.
Marrero is located at .(29.886017, -90.109930)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 8.6 square miles (22.2 km²), of which, 8.1 square miles (20.8 km²) of it is land and 0.5 square miles (1.3 km²) of it (5.96%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 33,141 people, 12,432 households, and 9,336 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 4,091.5 people per square mile (1,734.6/km²). There were 13,046 housing units at an average density of 1,620.9 per square mile (625.7/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 40.68% White, 45.80% African American, 0.68% Native American, 6.34% Asian, 0.15% Pacific Islander, 1.08% from other races, and 1.22% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.82% of the population.
There were 12,432 households out of which 35.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.4% were married couples living together, 23.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.9% were non-families. 21.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.86 and the average family size was 3.33.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 29.0% under the age of 18, 9.5% from 18 to 24, 27.5% from 25 to 44, 22.2% from 45 to 64, and 11.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 87.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.3 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $31,648, and the median income for a family was $37,287. Males had a median income of $31,995 versus $20,501 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $13,933. About 16.3% of families and 20.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 31.2% of those under age 18 and 15.7% of those age 65 or over.
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New Orleans operates two high schools:
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)|
- Rayshard Allen, basketball star at John Ehret High School an Tulane University (1993-1997)
- Sherman A. Bernard (1925-2012), politician
- Marty Booker — NFL football player for Chicago Bears, Miami Dolphins, and Atlanta Falcons
- Baby Boy da Prince, rapper
- Choppa, rapper
- Paul Carr, actor
- Patrick Connick, politician
- Ryan Clark, NFL player
- Stephen Jackson, composer
- Tory James, athlete
- Norman Jefferson, former NFL player
- Steve Theriot, politician
- Kordell Stewart, former NFL player
- Blaine Stewart, television news personality
- Chris Ullo, politician
- Reggie Wayne, athlete
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Marrero CDP, Louisiana." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on September 29, 2010.
- "Belle Terre Library." Jefferson Parish Library. Retrieved on September 29, 2010.
- "In Memory of Sherman Bernard, Sr.". obits.dignitymemorial.com. Retrieved June 16, 2013.
- "Marty Booker". databaseFootball.com. Retrieved November 26, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marrero, Louisiana.|