Marriott Hotels & Resorts
|Founder||J. Willard Marriott|
Number of locations
Marriott Hotels & Resorts is Marriott International's flagship brand of full-service hotels and resorts. The company, based in Washington D.C., is repeatedly included on the Forbes Best Companies to Work for list, and was voted the fourth best company to work for in the UK by The Times in 2009.
History and current operation
The Marriott chain began with two motels in the 1950s. The first opened as a Quality Inn airport motel near Washington D.C. and another motel nearby, the Twin Bridges, a few years later. With the opening of the second motel, Marriott was born as a brand name. The Twin Bridges motel is still operating, but as a full-service hotel. The Twin Bridges property was demolished in 1990, but the Key Bridge property still operates.
In 1967, Marriott opened its first resort hotel, the Camelback Inn, in Arizona, USA. Marriott Hotels & Resorts expanded outside of the United States for the first time in 1969 with the opening of the Marriott in Acapulco, Mexico.
By 1975, Marriott Hotels & Resorts had expanded to Europe, with the Amsterdam Marriott hotel opening in 1975.
In these first several decades, Marriott International owned and managed many of the hotels within its portfolio. In 1993, the company decided to spin off the real estate ownership operations as a new company, Host Marriott, while retaining hotel management services under the Marriott International company name.
By 1999, there were over 360 Marriott Hotels & Resorts in 47 countries, and in 2012 Marriott Hotels & Resorts celebrated the opening of the 500th Marriott Hotels & Resorts property, the Pune Marriott Hotel & Convention Centre, in Pune, India.
Location of international properties
In September 2005, Marriott Hotels & Resorts unveiled its first new room designs in ten years. Dubbed mSpot, the new rooms feature clean lines and updated technology.
Location of properties in the US
|District of Columbia||4|
|Kansas||2||Overland Park, Wichita|
|Louisiana||4||Baton Rouge (opened in 1975 as a Hilton, converted to Marriott in 2004), Metairie, New Orleans (2)|
|Missouri||5||Kansas City (3), St. Louis|
- Marriott jumps 10 places in the Sunday Times Best big companies to work for list
- . Marriott Hotels & Resorts https://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/marriott-hotels-resorts-and-suites.hotels/. Retrieved 28 September 2013. Missing or empty
- Hitting the mSpot
- Brisbane Marriott Hotel. "Brisbane, Australia Hotels | Brisbane Marriott HotelRecommended". Marriott.com. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- Melbourne Marriott Hotel. "Luxury Hotel Melbourne | Melbourne Marriott Hotel". Marriott.com. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay. "Sydney Hotel | Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay". Marriott.com. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa. "Gold Coast, Australia, Hotels | Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa". Marriott.com. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- "Marriott Niagara Falls Hotel Fallsview & Spa | Canadian Fallsview". Niagarafallsmarriott.com. 1999-02-22. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- Shanghai Marriott Hotel Pudong East
- Marriott Tulsa Hotel Southern Hills
- Tennessee Marriott Hotels
- Milwaukee Marriott Downtown
- Milwaukee Marriott West
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marriott hotels.|