Marsh Harbour Airport
|This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (July 2014)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014)|
|Marsh Harbour International Airport|
|IATA: MHH – ICAO: MYAM|
|Serves||Marsh Harbour, Abaco Islands, Bahamas|
|Elevation AMSL||6 ft / 2 m|
Marsh Harbour is a major tourist attraction in the Bahamas. The airport offers service to Nassau and a few Florida cities. In 2006 a new runway was built to allow larger, regional jets to operate in and out of Marsh Harbour. A new airport terminal opened on 27 May 2014.
The airport resides at an elevation of 6 ft (1.8 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 09/27 with an asphalt surface measuring 1,523 m × 30 m (4,997 ft × 98 ft). In 2006 the old runway has been converted to a taxiway as the newer 6,100 ft (1,859 m) runway has opened. The new Marsh Harbour Airport airport terminal opened on 27 May 2014 after three years of construction.
Airlines and destinations
Scheduled passenger service from this airport is provided by the following airlines:
|Bahamasair||Nassau, West Palm Beach|
|Craig Air Center||Seasonal:Jacksonville, St. Augustine|
|Silver Airways||Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, West Palm Beach, Tampa (begins February 12, 2015), Jacksonville|
|SkyBahamas||Fort Lauderdale, Nassau|
On 25 August 2001 the singer Aaliyah plus members of a group that had recorded a video with her were killed on takeoff from Marsh Harbour Airport. The aeroplane was overloaded by 700 pounds (320 kg) and was carrying one excess passenger, according to its certification.
On 13 June 2013 a SkyBahamas Airlines Saab 340B suffered substantial damage when it departed off the side of the runway while landing in heavy rain. There were no serious injuries or deaths among the 24 passengers and crew.
- Airport information for MYAM at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for MHH at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- Where We Fly (American Airlines Route Map) http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/whereWeFly/maps/world.jsp
- Bahamasair (Bahamasair RSS) http://bahamasair.com/
- Route Map (Route Map) http://www.silverairways.com/more-information/travel-information/route-map
- Moss, Corey (16 July 2002). "Cocaine, Alcohol Found in Pilot of Aaliyah's Plane". MTV News. Archived from the original on 23 June 2009. Retrieved 17 June 2009.
- "Preliminary - Official Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. 13 June 2013.