Towns of rural western Marin County. Marshall is in red.
|• County Board||District 4
|• State Senate||Mark Leno (D)|
|• Assembly||Marc Levine (D)|
|• U. S. Congress||Jared Huffman (D)|
|Elevation||23 ft (7 m)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||228136|
Marshall is located on the east shore of Tomales Bay. It has a population of about 400, although it has long claimed a population of 50 and touted this as the sum of the elevation (15 feet or 4.5 m above sea level) and the speed limit of 35 miles per hour (56 km/h). It is located approximately 15 miles (24 km) south east of Bodega Bay, on State Route 1. Its ZIP code is 94940.
The town is named after four brothers called Marshall, who set up a dairying industry there in the 1850s. Starting in the 1870s, Marshall was a stop on the North Pacific Coast Railroad connecting Cazadero to the Sausalito ferry.
There is still some dairying in the area with Straus Family Creamery based there, but nowadays the town's major commerce is in oysters and clams, for which it is a center. It also acts as a center for tourists visiting Tomales Bay and the neighbouring Point Reyes Peninsula.
- "California's 2nd Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Marshall
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Clovis, Calif.: Word Dancer Press. p. 660. ISBN 1-884995-14-4.
- http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAFFPopulation?_event=ChangeGeoContext&geo_id=86000US94940&_geoContext=&_street=&_county=&_cityTown=&_state=04000US06&_zip=94940&_lang=en&_sse=on&ActiveGeoDiv=&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=010&_submenuId=population_0&ds_name=null&_ci_nbr=null&qr_name=null®=null%3Anull&_keyword=&_industry= factfinder.census.gov
- http://www.inn-california.com/sanfrancisco/Marin/Tomales/marshall.html inn.california.com
- Information and photographs about Marshall on the Beach California website
- Information about Marshall on the West Marin Chamber of Commerce website